Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK citizens - what olive oil do you use? page 2

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I buy a Greek olive oil from my local health food shop called Hellenic. It comes in 5 litre tins and is absolutely delicious (and it does get thick and cloudy when put in the fridge). If I can't get that, then I buy Il Casolere olive oil from Sainsbury's, which is delicious - and the bottles are great for storing stock in the fridge ...

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I use the extra virgin stuff from aldi and I have no idea on the integrity,
    I honestly think Aldi's stuff is all reasonable quality.

I bought their "super lean" minced beef on offer this morning. I will be making some burgers to have as lunch next Monday & Tuesday when I'm on awaydays for a First Aid refresher course at Peterborough.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I agree, I've always found the quality of aldi stuff to be good, their EVOO goes cloudy when it goes cold, often in the store. I think one of the reasons they are so cheap is they don't put the heating on to save money, it's always bloody freezing in there, but it's so small compared to a tescos hyper store we are out in 20 - 30 mins
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    I buy a Greek olive oil from my local health food shop called Hellenic. It comes in 5 litre tins and is absolutely delicious (and it does get thick and cloudy when put in the fridge). If I can't get that, then I buy Il Casolere olive oil from Sainsbury's, which is delicious - and the bottles are great for storing stock in the fridge ...
    Great tip - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I honestly think Aldi's stuff is all reasonable quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I agree, I've always found the quality of aldi stuff to be good, their EVOO goes cloudy when it goes cold, often in the store. I think one of the reasons they are so cheap is they don't put the heating on to save money, it's always bloody freezing in there, but it's so small compared to a tescos hyper store we are out in 20 - 30 mins
    I'm inclined to agree - I think their products are pretty good. It's too easy to forget that Expensive ≠ Better quality.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Yeah, real olive oil will go cloudy & solidify at lower temps, try popping it in the fridge to see if it goes cloudy/thick.
    Napolina Extra Virgin has failed the test!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Napolina Extra Virgin has failed the test!
    How long did you leave it in? I think I read somewhere that sometimes it needs to be left a while... like a couple days?... not sure if thats correct...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    I use Primadonna Extra virgin olive oil from Lidl. Tastes fine, I use it for everything as super cheap! I have a friend who's a proper olive oil snob and he said it was 'quite reasonable' ... so... that's OK then.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    How long did you leave it in? I think I read somewhere that sometimes it needs to be left a while... like a couple days?... not sure if thats correct...
    Oh cool... it's only been in for seven hours or so! I won't put it on the enemy list just yet

- Ray Peat

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Currently using Arcadia EVOO, product of organic farming, cold extraction.

Product of Greece.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12