Thread: Freedom from chocolate page

naiadknight is offline Senior Member

Freedom from chocolate

Primal Fuel
    I've been a chocoholic my whole life. I've never really had much of sweet tooth other than that, but the chocoholism was bad enough. Chocolate was my comfort food, especially nutella stuff or ferrero rocher. A couple days ago, I'd had a really lame day and made a concoction with nutella, chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut oil all melted together (maybe 1 oz total of stuff). As I was stirring it on my way to the table, I thought "This smells... off. I'll have a bite to see which chocolate has gone bad." I tasted it and it tasted like it was the nutella that was wrong. It just tasted... wrong. I trot back to the pantry to check the jar itself and take a small taste. The nutella wasn't off, it was now disgusting. The modified oil they use was the main texture and (lack of ) flavor, not the chocolate goodness. It had always been that way and I'd never tasted that. I get rid of the original concoction and use just coconut oil, dagoba dark chocolate, and pecans. My first thought after eating a bite? "It's good, it'd be better if it was just a berry coating." 2 months in and I've lost my chocoholism. I never dreamed that's be possible.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Keep it up!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Sherissima is offline Member
    Well done you! Nutella is really sugar and oil with only a smidgen of cocoa and nuts - it feels fantastic when you realise you've educated your palate to appreciate real, nutrition rich foods instead of that kind of fake rubbish!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious what you mean by a berry coating?

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    I've lost mine too. I used to eat a *lot* of chocolate every day since I was a kid. Now I only eat a small piece of dark chocolate now and then, but I can go without any for weeks. I don't miss it at all. Amazing!
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Think Chocolate dipped strawberries, just with blueberries and raspberries too.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Think Chocolate dipped strawberries, just with blueberries and raspberries too.
    Ah, I thought you mean you were coating something with berries, and I couldn't figure how that worked.

Well, if you dipped the object in question if coconut oil, lard, or chocolate and sprinkled the smaller or chopped berries berries over it, it might work. hmmmmm..... ideas forming.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    It's so easy to make your own "nutella" - just melt some chocolate with a bit of heavy cream and you get the same texture. No hazelnutty taste, admittedly, but the same delicious chocolateyness and texture. The last time I had nutella all I tasted was the sugar stinging the back of my throat, yuck!