Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic veggies taste better - GMO impact on kid tastes? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Organic veggies taste better - GMO impact on kid tastes?

Primal Fuel
    We recently "splurged" (aka spent more than usual) to buy some organic brocolli and green beans at Costco. Our goal is to move entirely to orgnaic and grass fed, but finances are tighter than we'd like. In any case, we have tried both these out this week and can smell and taste the difference! It makes me wonder, have the pesticide filled, GMO veggies turned many children off to veggies? This brocolli tasted like it had butter in it, and was prepared exactly the same way as the conventional version.

My kids have never shied away from their veggies, so they aren't a very good test market. But I have to wonder if kids would eat more veggies if supplied with real food that hadn't been tampered with. Thoughts?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    We eat a wide variety of organic and non-organic fruit and veggies from the local grocery, Costco and Whole Foods. In general, I'd say the organics from the grocery are a gamble. Everything from Costco and Whole Foods is usually good. I recently bought organic celery at WF though that was NASTY, so bitter I threw most of it into the compost. I love celery. It's one of my favorite snacks for days when dinner time can't come soon enough. The tastiest is conventional from my local grocery.

Have you tried conventional broccoli and green beans from Costco? They may just source better stuff for all their veggies.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure most blind taste tests would indicate most people can't tell the difference if they are both same level of freshness. In my experience though.. organic food has a higher chance of being at peak point for taste. Not sure why.. maybe since they cost more money and often in smaller quantities it is easier or more valued by the companies to make sure they are in better condition?

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    It makes me wonder, have the pesticide filled, GMO veggies turned many children off to veggies? This brocolli tasted like it had butter in it, and was prepared exactly the same way as the conventional version.
    FWIW, the only GMO fruits/vegetables found in the US currently are zucchini, papaya and beets.
    Genetically modified crops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    FWIW, the only GMO fruits/vegetables found in the US currently are zucchini, papaya and beets.
    Genetically modified crops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not going to trust wikipedia on that one. Corn goes to the top of the list as GMO. If it were true that few things were GMO then the big companies wouldn't be so opposed to labeling what is and isn't.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Not going to trust wikipedia on that one. Corn goes to the top of the list as GMO. If it were true that few things were GMO then the big companies wouldn't be so opposed to labeling what is and isn't.
    Well, I wasn't including corn as a fruit/vegetable as it is a grain, which is why I bolded fruits/vegetables. The primal blueprint suggestions of avoiding grains/legumes avoids near all the GMO crops available. They are opposed to labeling because most of those processed products include grains. But you aren't gonna run into them if you are buying fresh broccoli, neither conventional or organic. As to wiki being reliable, find one not on the list other than round-up ready cocaine.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I never liked bananas growing up because we always bought the conventional ones. I tried an organic banana and can't get enough. I no longer care for conventional apples either...veggies I haven't noticed a huge difference with to be honest, but if I can afford organic I do it anyways. Sweet potatoes though, organic is out of this world.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    They might taste a little more flavorful but I don't think kids will be grabbing their asparagus like cookies or anything. There's not much difference in taste.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I think the organic vegetables are fresher, maybe that's why. By now I've read so much about altered crops I steer clear of all of them. The GMO are by far the worst, but the U.S. has been hybredizing (aka improving) our crops since the 1850's. I'd like to be able to get heritage varieties of everything, but that seems to be impossible unless you're in a sharing group. I grew some heritage tomatoes last year and the difference in taste was amazing.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My kids have never shied away from their veggies, so they aren't a very good test market. But I have to wonder if kids would eat more veggies if supplied with real food that hadn't been tampered with. Thoughts?
    Kids will eat more veggies if they don't have their taste preferences destroyed by overexposure to sugar.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast