Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic veggies taste better - GMO impact on kid tastes? page 2

Mama~Mare is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Funny, I just had a conversation with my 16 year old son this morning. He can taste a difference in organic produce over non~organic.

I asked him if he thought it was just our minds playing tricks on us because it's label sais "organic".........he said "no way mom, it really does taste better. There's a huge difference."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The only fruit I really notice a difference in is tomato. I figured it was probably because not only are factory tomatoes sprayed, but they have been bred over the years to withstand long shipping distances, so they're not as juicy. Someone on this board also told me that they are force ripened. The organic are less uniform and a brighter color, and the taste is close to what I remember from when I was young.

Oh, and last year I got some organic strawberries that were so good I wanted to get on my knees to the strawberry goddess. Factory strawberries are another fruit that is forced ripened, which is why even if the outside appears a beautiful red, the inside might be pink or even close to white - not tasty.

Other than those two, I can't really taste the difference between organic and non-organic fruits and veggies.

ETA: Not sure if this is true, but I think children have more sensitive taste buds than adults, which is why we sometimes talk about 'developing a taste' for something.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    We recently "splurged" (aka spent more than usual) to buy some organic brocolli and green beans at Costco. Our goal is to move entirely to orgnaic and grass fed, but finances are tighter than we'd like. In any case, we have tried both these out this week and can smell and taste the difference! It makes me wonder, have the pesticide filled, GMO veggies turned many children off to veggies? This brocolli tasted like it had butter in it, and was prepared exactly the same way as the conventional version.

My kids have never shied away from their veggies, so they aren't a very good test market. But I have to wonder if kids would eat more veggies if supplied with real food that hadn't been tampered with. Thoughts?
    Man, let me tell you. I live in the corn belt USA. The ANIMALS won't even touch this shit. You're right on the money. Got any space around the house? Plant some things for your own. Afraid to start from seed? Go to any store in the spring and buy some plants ready to put in the ground. Doesn't take a lot of space to grow a tomato bush, couple heads of broccoli and some carrots. Trust me, then you'll REALLY taste the difference. I can't even eat organic things with a crap ton of seasoning.

~Grow Gardens, Not Lawns.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Pretty sure most blind taste tests would indicate most people can't tell the difference if they are both same level of freshness. In my experience though.. organic food has a higher chance of being at peak point for taste. Not sure why.. maybe since they cost more money and often in smaller quantities it is easier or more valued by the companies to make sure they are in better condition?
    No, it's because conventional produce has been picked green and force ripened. All the pesticides do change the tastes. And no, they are not the same level of freshness.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Man, let me tell you. I live in the corn belt USA. The ANIMALS won't even touch this shit. You're right on the money. Got any space around the house? Plant some things for your own. Afraid to start from seed? Go to any store in the spring and buy some plants ready to put in the ground. Doesn't take a lot of space to grow a tomato bush, couple heads of broccoli and some carrots. Trust me, then you'll REALLY taste the difference. I can't even eat organic things with a crap ton of seasoning.

We attempted a garden last year but it didn't turn out very well. We moved in November and I'd like to try again this year. But I have no idea what my yard will look like in terms of sun once the (tons of) trees fill in with leaves. So I'll get a late start, but I'm hoping to plant something. I also plan to start an herb garden in pots that can be brought in for the winter. We have also been getting CSA produce delivered the last 6 weeks or so and the spinach, carrots, and other things taste a lot sweeter than store bought stuff!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

GROW GARDENS, NOT LAWNS is awesome! I've been trying to convert my lot for the past few years. Books on permaculture and homesteading are great for this. Here are a couple resources if anyone cares:

Amazon.com: Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture (9781603580298): Toby Hemenway: Books

The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!: Carleen Madigan: 9781603421386: Amazon.com: Books

Anyhow, I'm not positive that organic tastes better than non-organic. What I do know for certain is fresh from my garden or a farmers market tastes a helluva lot better than anything off the supermarket shelf.

So I think organic and non-GMO are great for a variety of reasons, but freshness is paramount for taste.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Seriously if you are new to gardening the easiest way is to get a blend of lettuce seeds, carrot seeds, radish seeds, parsnips seeds, and dill. Spread those buggers all togeather in a bed.... cover with a quarter inch of compost and water. Thats your spring planting. Happy days!

Teach-

I know tree removal is expensive, but after the trees fill out, make a strategic choice and take out one of the trees. You would be amazed at how much one can grow in a small space. Do yourself a favor and google these three things: square foot gardening, urban gardening and container gardening. Oh, also, look into edible landscape.

The push for organis from the PB irritates me. Organic cert. Started off as a good thing. Now it's taken over by money mongering beaurocrats that are pushing the little farms out and shoving people into out sourcing and becoming the next "big guy." It is a bunch of crap. Of course, if you dont believe me, you can mostly certainly research for yourself.

And, like neckhammer suggested, if you cant grow it, find a farmer's market. Next best thing, only more expensive. Growing your own is the healthiest and most economical way. Period.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Teach-

I know tree removal is expensive, but after the trees fill out, make a strategic choice and take out one of the trees. You would be amazed at how much one can grow in a small space. Do yourself a favor and google these three things: square foot gardening, urban gardening and container gardening. Oh, also, look into edible landscape.

The push for organis from the PB irritates me. Organic cert. Started off as a good thing. Now it's taken over by money mongering beaurocrats that are pushing the little farms out and shoving people into out sourcing and becoming the next "big guy." It is a bunch of crap. Of course, if you dont believe me, you can mostly certainly research for yourself.

And, like neckhammer suggested, if you cant grow it, find a farmer's market. Next best thing, only more expensive. Growing your own is the healthiest and most economical way. Period.
    I don't think I'll need to remove any trees, and realistically that isn't in the finances any time soon. I think I'll be able to find some sunny spots. I think our front yard will get a good amount of sun, but then worry if I'll be "allowed" to grow there. Although I love the flowers that our plants produced last year. We'll just have to see, once all the snow melts! I also need to do a better job of picking foods we'll actually eat. It'll take us a couple years most likely, but my kids are learning right along with me and they enjoy tending the garden.

I understand your point about the organic cert. I wish the others had to get their food okayed for consumption since organic is what good used to be. Wouldn't that make more sense? I know of a farmer's market nearby that I plan to hit up when it starts in June.

Jovana is offline Member
    I recently started buying organic food and agree with JoanieL, tomatoes are soooo much better! They are actually red and juicy! For a while i wouldn't touch tomatoes in Australia because they are barely edible compared to the ones in Serbia (where my family is from). Actually in Serbia, those tomatoes would be fed to the farm animals, since nobody would buy them!
    Strawberry's are also a lot sweeter. The difference with other food is more subtle but Ive noticed generally the flavours are stronger, for example garlic is more garlicy, capsicum is also stronger.
    Other than that, produce is generally smaller and less pretty looking (which is good!) I think if you can afford it... even just every other week, it's worth it, since nobody really know the long term health effects of GM produce.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast