Thread: Low resting heart rate. page

TCates190 is offline Senior Member

Low resting heart rate.

Shop Now
    My resting heart rate is usually 40-44 bpm, I'm pretty active I have a fairly physical job (I work stock for a big pet store) and I crossfit anywhere from 3-5 times a week. I am 5'6 and range anywhere from 135-140 pounds I'd say 18-21 % body fat. Is a low resting heart rate a sign of cardiac health?Or a sign of low metabolism/ bad health? I've heard both theories and I'd like your input.
    Last edited by TCates190; 03-13-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Punctuation

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Generally for the physically active and athletes, a low resting heart rate is a sign of health.

However, low resting heart rate for the elderly (bradycardia) usually signifies poor cardiac output.

If you are not suffering from any symptoms, I wouldn't focus too much on the lower rate. If your heart rate remained low while you were performing crossfit exercises I would start to be concerned.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are in good health.

Not dizzy, lightheaded, etc?

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    No dizziness or anything unless I have too much caffeine...which I think is unrelated. I just wasn't sure if it was *too* low. A year ago my resting heart rate was about 70.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    What time of day did you measure it?
    First thing in the morning or late at night it will generally be lowest, technically around 4am is lowest and around 4-6pm will be the highest.
    As a general rule in the 50's is low, so very fit, if you are in the 40's then this is getting superfit or possibly a problem, it doesnt sound like you have any other symptoms so you are most likely fine.

Try tracking it for a while at the same time of day, first thing am is good and just see if it is fairly consistant.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on a lot. For me, when I was at my largest, my resting heart rate was around 57-60, and now it's around 40-44 as yours. I think for me it's just genetics, ie the way I am.
    Could be the same for you. Otherwise, voice your concern to your doctor when you see him.