Thread: Extended fast to Primal Blueprint transition page

ThirtyThr33 is offline Junior Member

Question Extended fast to Primal Blueprint transition

Primal Fuel
    I started an extended juice fast, almost a month ago, to “reboot” my system and to kick start some significant fat loss. When I started, though I had heard of the Paleo Diet (I hadn’t yet heard of the Primal Blueprint), I wasn’t intending to start and follow such a diet after my fast. But in researching fasting during these past few weeks, I stumbled across references to IF and one of those – Coffee and Intermittent Fasting – led me to Mark’s Daily Apple. I have since read article after article after article here and the Primal Blueprint lifestyle (not just the diet aspect) resonates very deeply with me.

So here I am on day 26 of my juice fast and I will end it on day 30. My question is, what is the best way to transition from this extended fast to the Primal diet? I would think that it would be inadvisable to have a big, rare rib-eye steak, and I certainly don't want any grains or beans or other non-primal foods, so what should my diet look like for the first couple of days?

I’m very excited about embarking on my new Primal based lifestyle and I can’t wait to get started!

Thank you,

Mike

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Interesting that you used the term, "reboot." You and I are on the same page

I would say to start out your eating with lots of veggies, butter, and some lighter animal based foods (fish, eggs, etc.) If you're able to handle the fish and eggs well digestively, then experiment with some chicken, pork, steak, etc.

I'd also highly recommend getting some probiotics or at least eating some fermented foods to bolster your healthy gut bacteria, not just during this transition but going forward.

Welcome to the party!

Zach is offline Banned
    Fruit, veg and very small amounts of animal products. Eggs, fish, maybe dairy. Keep the fat low at first, your gull bladder hasnt been used for awhile. Coconut, avocado and butter would be good fats to start with.

Zach is offline Banned
    Side question, what type of juice were you doing and what was you experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Side question, what type of juice were you doing and what was you experience?
    Fresh juice that I pressed/extracted myself from fresh, organic produce. For the first few days, I felt generally down and had some minor headaches; especially when I drank my CAB Zinger (Carrot Apple Beet + ginger). Lots of detoxing going on! After a week, I felt much better and have been feeling generally fine since. Some hunger and some sore temptations to be sure, but nothing too bad.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyThr33 View Post
    I started an extended juice fast, almost a month ago, to “reboot” my system and to kick start some significant fat loss. When I started, though I had heard of the Paleo Diet (I hadn’t yet heard of the Primal Blueprint), I wasn’t intending to start and follow such a diet after my fast. But in researching fasting during these past few weeks, I stumbled across references to IF and one of those – Coffee and Intermittent Fasting – led me to Mark’s Daily Apple. I have since read article after article after article here and the Primal Blueprint lifestyle (not just the diet aspect) resonates very deeply with me.

So here I am on day 26 of my juice fast and I will end it on day 30. My question is, what is the best way to transition from this extended fast to the Primal diet? I would think that it would be inadvisable to have a big, rare rib-eye steak, and I certainly don't want any grains or beans or other non-primal foods, so what should my diet look like for the first couple of days?

I’m very excited about embarking on my new Primal based lifestyle and I can’t wait to get started!

Thank you,

Mike
    I started down this path at the same stage you're at a couple years ago...got to watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead one day which it set me off juicing (a one week first, then 30days) and spending the next few months devouring every written piece/website/book on nutrition that I could find. I do couple/few day water fasts and green herb based juicing a handful of times per year as well and pretty much follow the Warrior Diet IF method drifting between 16-18hrs fasting and then consuming my calories in the 6-8hr window.

First, recognize that juicing is truly not a fast (zero calorie, ketosis, depletion etc), its more like a liquid diet (heavy micronutirients, heavy glucose, low fiber, etc etc), so you have to allow for a bit of maintenance for the first week mirroring the profile of calories, nutirients you had juicing. For the first couple days coming off something like this I only eat raw plant based, easy fibers. Then I eventually introduce a few ozs of animal protein at supper. And after that, just listen to your body. I have tried to introduce fats/animal proteins too early and kind of got the runs.
    All the best