Thread: Are 20-min runs okay? page

.Dan is offline Junior Member

Are 20-min runs okay?

Hey guys. I'm just reading the Primal Blueprint and I've just read that, according to Mark, long distance running is bad for you!

My question is, what would be considered "long distance running"? I run for 20 minutes every other morning and I enjoy both the feeling I get from it and trying to beat my time - is that long enough to release excessive amounts of cortisol?

I'm not sure whether to go with Mark on this or listen to others in the field who claim that our ancestors would engage in "persistence" hunting where we would regularly run for long distances, pointing to our sweating capabilities, better ability to run long distances and lesser sprinting abilities.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Do what makes you happy, 20 mins is not going to do any harm, I think mark is more concerned with Marathon type running and the huge amounts of miles of training needed to do one.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    20 min. Runs every other day is not bad at all. Not 'chronic cardio' by anyone's standards.
    If you are looking to lose body fat though, you can make a better use of the 20 mins. by doing HIIT.