Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does bone broth make me tired? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Why does bone broth make me tired?

Primal Fuel
    For the last week I've been eating lamb bone broth every day, but every time I eat it I feel really tired and need to take a nap. Luckily my office is at home so I can catch 40 winks but still... Last time I was napping was back when I was getting white bread energy crashes.

I'm actually sleeping pretty well and eating plenty of nutritious food (carbs, fat and protein). Any ideas why bone broth might be making me tired?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Do you also feel this tiredness with chicken based bone broth, beef?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Do you also feel this tiredness with chicken based bone broth, beef?
    No. I eat a lot of lamb though, and dont have any adverse effects.

Do you think it could be a sign of healing?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    How is your digestion, generally?

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    How is your digestion, generally?
    Erratic! Much better when I'm eating starch. It's actually not bad atm.

- Ray Peat

I know it's related to digestion somehow because the same thing would happen to me. Now that my digestion's fixed, fat and protein give me an appropriate pep, and carbohydrates set my body on fire, as is appropriate. I wish I could give you a more specific answer, but I honestly don't know.

I know it's related to digestion somehow because the same thing would happen to me. Now that my digestion's fixed, fat and protein give me an appropriate pep, and carbohydrates set my body on fire, as is appropriate. I wish I could give you a more specific answer, but I honestly don't know.
    That's interesting - do you mean food in general would make you tired, or bone broth specifically?

How did you fix your digestion? I definitely have problems, which is why I'm going hell for leather on the bone broth atm...

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Gelatin
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How did you fix your digestion?
    Prozac. Probably not helpful for you. Meals of mostly fat and protein would make me tired. A big ass salad required a big ass nap afterward.

But something we may have in common is a lack of proper gut flora. I used eat sweet potatoes and pass them essentially undigested. The first day after I started the pill, I tore into a pan of brussel sprouts and ended up shooting them into the toilet later that night. Bear in mind, my digestion was extremely slow before; I would go days without a bowel movement. Now it's running at light speed, so I can see a clear correlation between fiber and digestive problems.

I don't know if that would help your lethargy issues, though.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-13-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Prozac. Probably not helpful for you.

Not the answer I was expecting, lol.

My broth has potatoes in it! I've eaten it for years, but it's never made me sleepy before...

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Gelatin
    Tell-me-more, tell-me-more!

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast