Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does bone broth make me tired? page 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Cutting wheat and oats seems to have sorted out the initial problem, but since going Primal constipation has taken over. Eating yogurt made me regular, but I recently cut down and realised the problem is still there - the probiotics were just masking it.

Turning point came last weekend when I ate a can of tinned spinach on Friday night, then spent Saturday on the toilet! I realised my gut is incredibly sensitive and needs some TLC. Hence the bone broth. I'm sure some people would recommend I do GAPS, but I've promised myself never to do an extreme, restrictive diet again.

Oh, and I'm always bloated.
    So now you've got a mixture of constipation and diarrhea? What a beautiful combination!

My husband is in the process of healing his GI system - it finally reached a breaking point and starting to look like maybe he's developing Crohn's or something really nasty. He was getting serious all-day knock-out diarrhea from probiotics. Didn't matter what kind - yogurt, kefit, kombucha, pill form, then he started reacting to cheese and any kind of fat. Not good.

He's been taking this supplement called GI Revive. At first, he couldn't tolerate that, either, but he discovered he could take it with food. He kept away from any kind of probiotic for a week, then added back a probiotic pill daily. He's not 100% yet, but soooo much better.

BTW, I've noticed that spinach causes me a lot of GI problems. If I eat it in small amounts, it comes thru the other end undigested (so what's the point, right?) and in bigger amounts it gave me cramps and bloating and constipation. I'm assuming it's the insoluble fiber,
    but who knows.

Also, I don't know if you take a magnesium supplement, but if you're prone to constipation, magnesium citrate will help to promote BMs. However, if like my husband you are now prone to diarrhea, stay away from citrate, it'll just make the GI situation worse. You can take Magnesium Glycinate (which is what he's taking now) which doesn't have action on BMs.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So now you've got a mixture of constipation and diarrhea? What a beautiful combination!
    BTW, I've noticed that spinach causes me a lot of GI problems. If I eat it in small amounts, it comes thru the other end undigested (so what's the point, right?) and in bigger amounts it gave me cramps and bloating and constipation. I'm assuming it's the insoluble fiber,
    but who knows.

Also, I don't know if you take a magnesium supplement, but if you're prone to constipation, magnesium citrate will help to promote BMs. However, if like my husband you are now prone to diarrhea, stay away from citrate, it'll just make the GI situation worse. You can take Magnesium Glycinate (which is what he's taking now) which doesn't have action on BMs.
    I know... lucky me, eh? Actually constipation and the runs are opposite sides of the same IBS coin. Both are symptomatic of a compromised gut, and it's not uncommon to have them interchangeably. I can't even remember how long I've had this problem, so I don't know what to blame..!

It's only canned spinach has this effect on me. I assume it's cos it's so condensed - who knows how much fresh spinach one can would be the equivalent to? But yeah, I assume it's the fibre.

Mg supplements have never helped my BMs... Neither has supplementing with ACV. As I said, greek yogurt made me regular, but I got weirdly addicted to dairy while eating it. I cut it out, and after about five days things started to regulate by themselves. Don't have anything to base this on, but it intuitively feels like things are getting better, and something is healing. I've started bodybrushing and I'm wondering if that is helping...

I'm derailing my own thread, lol.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123