Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does bone broth make me tired? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I've been considering fixing my digestion with bone broth too... I've read a lot about it but am unsure how it works. Also, I don't know how to make bone broth... just steep bones in water? :/ Sorry I only have questions and no answers, lol.
    Lol. It's actually the easiest thing in the world. Bones, hot water, boil, then simmer for at least eight hours. Some say 24, but I simmer for shorter and then reuse the bones for a second batch. THere's a good recipe on the PHD page.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth contains gelatin which helps with sleep. Glycine, etc;
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    A little outside the box, but could it be that a warm mug of liquid relaxes you and makes you sleepy? Warm drinks do that to me if they're not caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    A little outside the box, but could it be that a warm mug of liquid relaxes you and makes you sleepy? Warm drinks do that to me if they're not caffeinated.
    I'm a heavy-hot drink user And they don't generally make me sleepy. Weird thing is that I've been drinking bone broth for my whole life (Polish mother) but it's never made me tired before.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Bone broth contains gelatin which helps with sleep. Glycine, etc;
    You're making me google it myself? I thought we were friends!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    To make bone broth: get enough bones to cover the bottom of your largest pot. Joint bones are the best and at least one should be included.
    Roast the bones at 400 deg. for 20-30 min. Scoop out any marrow to eat or spread on meat.
    Put the bones in the pot and fill with water.
    Simmer, covered, for 3 days, add water as needed
    Cool and remove fat from the top.
    Give the bones to the dogs.
    Pour the bone broth through cheese cloth into containers to freeze.
    Spoon into a cup, heat and add salt and pepper.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How did you fix your digestion? I definitely have problems, which is why I'm going hell for leather on the bone broth atm...
    What kinds of digestive issues are you dealing with right now? I know I've posted about what I did, but I'm currently helping my husband fix his digestive issues, which are different than mine and maybe we've used something that could help you. If you give some details, I could see if there's anything left in my arsenal still unpublished that I could share

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I guess you'll just have to give it to me.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm a heavy-hot drink user And they don't generally make me sleepy. Weird thing is that I've been drinking bone broth for my whole life (Polish mother) but it's never made me tired before.

You're making me google it myself? I thought we were friends!
    Sorry, I was not at home and on my phone.

New therapeutic strategy for amino acid medi... [J Pharmacol Sci. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Gelatin is rich in glycine, and glycine is as an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which would causes feelings of sleepiness for sure.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    What kinds of digestive issues are you dealing with right now? I know I've posted about what I did, but I'm currently helping my husband fix his digestive issues, which are different than mine and maybe we've used something that could help you. If you give some details, I could see if there's anything left in my arsenal still unpublished that I could share
    lol, thanks BB! Well, me and you have a lot of similar issues, as we discussed before. I have IBS, but B.P (Before Primal) it was that I would get the shits. Italian food in particular went straight through me. Sometimes I would be constipated but it was usually when I was travelling, so I assumed it was stress at people knowing that I did unladylike things like pooing

Cutting wheat and oats seems to have sorted out the initial problem, but since going Primal constipation has taken over. Eating yogurt made me regular, but I recently cut down and realised the problem is still there - the probiotics were just masking it.

Turning point came last weekend when I ate a can of tinned spinach on Friday night, then spent Saturday on the toilet! I realised my gut is incredibly sensitive and needs some TLC. Hence the bone broth. I'm sure some people would recommend I do GAPS, but I've promised myself never to do an extreme, restrictive diet again.

Oh, and I'm always bloated.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-14-2013 at 02:22 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Sorry, I was not at home and on my phone.

New therapeutic strategy for amino acid medi... [J Pharmacol Sci. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Gelatin is rich in glycine, and glycine is as an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which would causes feelings of sleepiness for sure.
    Cheers Derp Actually did google it and start reading. Interesting stuff. Thing is though, I'm no stranger to bone broth, and it's never had this effect on me before. My (pleb) theory is that something has changed with me on a physiological level, which means the same food is effecting me differently...

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast