Thread: net carbs or carbs in general page

egyption grok is offline Senior Member

net carbs or carbs in general

Shop Now
    i have a question when they say to go in ketosis ur carbs have to be 5% of ur total calories does this mean net carbs or does the fiber count too?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I count all carbs.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    The only way to know for sure is to measure your blood ketone levels. Urine strips can give some indication but are less accurate since you will start burning the ketones once you get adapted.

I would be inclined to only count sugar and starch. This post is quite informative:
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - No Such thing as a macronutrient part II - Carbohydrates*(revised)

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    As yodie said, get the strips and you'll know for sure. You'll also be able to feel it once you identify it a few times (and your breath will generally stink as well).

I try my absolute best not to have to do any math, so worrying about calculating net carbs is a waste of time.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I love the last paragraph in this article you linked:

I think eating 15-20% of calories as starch is healthier than being VLC (very low carbohydrate) on only green veggies and meat. Starchy Plant Organs give you the most useful plant vitamins and minerals, spare your body the work of making your own glucose via gluconeogenesis, keep you out of ketosis, and keep your glycogen stores topped off, all while avoiding the antinutrients in grains. If you are fairly active, you might notice a big difference between 20% starch and 5%.

So this makes PaNu very highly aligned with Kwasniewski on both ketosis and potatoes.

Ketosis is useful for weight loss, but it is not likely to be optimal to live in ketosis most of the time if you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I love the last paragraph in this article you linked:
    Yep. Dr. Harris was one of my favorite bloggers in Paleo-primal land.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Is there solid evidence that ketosis actually does much, beyond perhaps reducing appetite? (I've been in ketosis for about the last three weeks and about to give up on the experiment, but there is so much contradictory info out there that I'm not even certain that it's beneficial. I would like to lose some body fat, but I'm not overweight.)

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    For all the info you could ever want, look at Dr. Peter Attia's blog, EatingAcademy.com where he has some highly detailed postings about low carb, ketosis, etc. I'm also a physician (and have a PhD to boot) and his science seems solid to me. (I note your UT Football name; pretty sure there's a football post in Attia's area.)

I don't know if "ketosis itself" does anything. Your brain loves ketones as much as glucose (something a lot of people don't know, including fellow docs.) If you are in ketosis, you are definitely burning mainly fat for energy.

Three weeks is just barely beginning to get you into a metabolic state where you will actually see what ketosis means for you. One of the problems in nutrition science is putting people into ketosis for a few days and giving up when they feel bad. It's been known for a hundred years that it takes at least two weeks to adapt, and some people take a few weeks longer.

Is it beneficial? Possibly. Harmful? Very doubtful. I've been mostly in ketosis for six months, lost 20# mostly around my middle, and have no problem with exercise. I don't get the gnawing hunger anymore. Looking forward to trying some long bike rides again soon (snow keeps coming in Denver.) to see how the ketotic state goes with a 2 hr ride.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Three weeks is just barely beginning to get you into a metabolic state where you will actually see what ketosis means for you. One of the problems in nutrition science is putting people into ketosis for a few days and giving up when they feel bad. It's been known for a hundred years that it takes at least two weeks to adapt, and some people take a few weeks longer.
    Not to derail from the original topic too much, but that raises a question for me: Say you become fully keto-adapted over the course of 6 weeks or however long it takes. Then you decide to eat some carbs one day (say 100g of starch). This will obviously bring you out of ketosis temporarily. If you go back to eating keto-style after this starch bolus, will you still be adapted? Or will it take another several weeks to re-acclimate? I imagine you will still be well-adapted.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Maybe I'll stick with it for a few weeks longer (I've pretty much stopped carb counting but the ketone strips keep coming out positive). Thanks for the info and blog suggestion.