Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about Coffee please. House blend, morning blend, WTF? page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    alright but what the fuck does morning blend and house blend and all these blends mean?
    Doesn't mean a damn thing. Different beans, different roasts, and everybody makes up their own name for their "special blend"

Breakfast blends tend to be a light roast. House blend has no rhyme or reason. 2 brands of "house blend" are no more likely to be similar than any other 2 random blends you pulled off the shelf.

I'd assume anything "evening" or "midnight" blend would be on the darker roasted side. Sorry we can't be more help.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: What Is a Coffee Blend? (with pictures)

The phrase “coffee blend” typically refers to a coffee bean mixture that is made up of different roasts, styles, or tastes of coffee, though it can also sometimes refer to coffee drinks that contain flavoring syrups or other additives designed to change their overall taste profile. When coffee purists talk about blends, they are almost always discussing the actual bean mixture that gives rise to the brew in the first place. Mixtures can be made up of beans of different roasts, different varieties, or different flavor profiles.
    There's more info there also.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Blends usually suck, and are a great opportunity for roasters to hide the crappy quality of bad beans into a mixture and sell at the same price as other beans.

Get a batch of roasted beans from one farm and you'll appreciate the different taste of real coffee.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Blends usually suck, and are a great opportunity for roasters to hide the crappy quality of bad beans into a mixture and sell at the same price as other beans.

Get a batch of roasted beans from one farm and you'll appreciate the different taste of real coffee.
    While blends can suck, it's also true that a proper blend can bring out the best in the varieties used in a way that is greater than the sum of the whole. I used to roast and blend my own beans, and I definitely recommend it as not only a learning tool, but a way to save money.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Ah alright that helps me. But I'd still like a recomendation on some brand of coffee that is on the lighter to medium roast side side , but im really open to anything, that is spectacular and will knock my socks off. I've been drinking caribou coffee daybreak morning blend as i was given a few bags but i fell ike my taste buds deserve a better cup of coffee.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    1. There's another method of making coffee called a "pour over" which are ceramic or plastic funnels that sit on top of a coffee cup. You put a filter in there, and some grounds, then pour hot (just cooled from boiling) water over it. Lots of the benefits of a french press, but far less cleanup.

2. I threw this out there a few weeks ago: https://www.alterracoffee.com/Home.aspx
    That coffee roaster is located in Milwaukee, near where I used to live. I still order their coffee online, as I haven't found anything I like as much in the past three years of moving around the country. The best thing I've found about their website are the flavor profiles. They give numeric values to a few different properties, and once you find a coffee you like, you can look at the flavor profile and find other similar ones. Or something completely different. For me, the biggest factor is the acidity, which I prefer low. You might even get them to send you a sampler pack of several different small bags, if you call and talk to a manager.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, make sure you're making it strong enough. For some reason the flavor is terrible if the coffee is too weak.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You have to leave North America. There is no other way to learn about good coffee
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    While blends can suck, it's also true that a proper blend can bring out the best in the varieties used in a way that is greater than the sum of the whole. I used to roast and blend my own beans, and I definitely recommend it as not only a learning tool, but a way to save money.
    Fair enough. I put a blanket statement on coffee chains.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast