Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A thought about Fat Loss page 4

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This has been a very interesting and timely thread. I started losing weight (via Dukan, it must be said) in January 2011, and discovered Primal in June 2011. Between January 2011 and January 2012, I lost 77lbs and four dress sizes. Between January 2012 and January 2013, I gained 13lbs (although I did not change measurements) and cannot now lose them or any more weight. I would guess that I'm approximately 90% compliant - I do regular daily walking with my two dogs, I do HIIT twice a week, and I lift twice a week as well. My calories trend around 1300 - 1500 a day, and my macros are around 50 - 75g carbs a day, 90 - 100g protein a day, and around 80 - 100g fat a day. I should theoretically be losing weight, but I'm not. However, my sleep is much better, I no longer need knee replacement surgery, my eczema has cleared up, I don't suffer from hayfever any more, my skin is clearer, my hair is thicker and shinier, and I feel happier in myself and more energetic. I should really, at 5' 2", being aiming to lose another 30lbs or so, but if it takes a long time then I figure it took me a long time to get as big as I was, so it only makes sense that it will take a long time to slim down again and, if I don't, then at least I feel healthier and happier as a result of this!

janie is offline Senior Member
    I've shared here b/f that I've lost over 70 lbs and now have a normal BMI & PBF. My weight loss was not fast and I also had my share of plateaus. In the beginning, I was so focused on losses on the scale, that I gave no thought to where those pounds were coming from. I am sure I sacrificed some muscle along with the fat b/f I started an exercise program. Having reached a normal weight, my new goal became recomposition -- losing FAT but not necessarily pounds.

Since you exercise consistently, I'm wondering if you are not in fact doing the same thing. For example, in October I had a repeat impedance test which found I had lost only 3 total pounds in the previous 6 months ... BUT I had gained 9 lbs of muscle and lost 12 lbs of fat. While I have not lost any significant pounds since October (& don't need to), suddenly people are telling me that I really must stop losing weight! When I say I haven't, they don't believe me. What they are seeing is a redistribution of pounds which represents a further loss of fat and additional muscle gain. I get another impedance test in May and am looking forward to the new #s.

Losing fat can be slow going for women as our bodies are designed to cling to it, but I'm thinking you may well be losing fat and gaining muscle and that won't show up on a scale.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    the thing that I have been drawn to the most in all these discussions of weight, body comp, nutrients..is that BONES may be getting heavier. think about all those years of poor nutririon - do we get enough fat, vit D, magnesium, etc and useable calcium? alot of people have to heal guts as well, and the bones are finally getting re-mineralized as nutrients pour in. its a good thing to check your bone density - I wish I had done it at some point as a reference to compare with now.
    my MIL had followed conventional wisdom for years, but ended up with broken hip/osteoporosis. lack of fat probably played a part in her inability to use calcium from all that fat-free milk....

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Typical day of eating:
    2-3 eggs, some type of veggie (asparagus, spinach), small piece of fruit, maybe some bacon, chicken or turkey sausage (I read labels so no gluten etc.). Coffee with 1-2 T of coconut milk. I use maybe 1/2 T of butter to cook the stuff

Lunch varies, but typically a lot of lean protein. Today was a salad with 6 oz of chicken breast, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and maybe 1/2 T of olive oil. Some days I just have a couple of boiled eggs and turkey. Sometimes I throw in fruit (particularly on cross fit day).

Dinner is generally grilled meat in some form (chicken, lamb, steak), cooked with no extra fat. Sides vary, but generally a veggie prepared with about 1/2 T of fat. 2-3 times a week, there might be a sweet potato or winter squash. Maybe 2 times a month, potatoes or rice. I often have fruit if I didn't have any at lunch.

I rarely "snack". I might have a snack 1-2 times a week and it is generally either an egg of some sort or a small amounts of nuts like 20 almonds. 2-3 times a month I have a more serious snack- like yesterday I ate a regular muffin (grain based treats are really rare for me- like once every couple months), sometimes something like a paleo cake or ice cream (I just realized I have not had ice cream since September...). I stay conscious of the calories - for example, if I have a paleo cake for dessert, I would not have a sweet potato and would prepare my veggies with minimal fat at dinner.
    Gah! I don't understand this. Why still afraid of fat??? You need to up the fat and drop the fruit. 1/2 T of fat here and there is nothing... your diet is still VERY lacking in the amount of fat you need, and at the same time you are dosing yourself far too often with simple carbs from the fruit.

You may find that you will actually be able to eat more calories per day (as fat), than currently, if you drop the fruit carbs, and also break the fat loss plateau.

I keep seeing this here, people mostly Paleo, but who are still afraid of upping the fat... carryover from CW days or what? I know it's hard to let go of 20+ years of "fat is bad" misinformation, but seriously, fat won't make you fat if you aren't also dosing yourself with carbs at the same time that tell your body to store the fat.

IMO you should try to cut down the carbs further AND up the fat (for satiety and hunger control, and because fat NEEDS to be the majority of your calorie intake), and try to pursue a more strictly ketogenic / atkins induction type of diet, which is TONS of fat ( File:Ketogenic diets pie MCT.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). FAT needs to be the source of most of your calories, not meat and not fruit.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    FAT needs to be the source of most of your calories, not meat and not fruit.
    Who the hell are you?

If you spent any time reading this forum ever, undoubtedly you'd come across some of Magnolia's amazing posts describing her frustrations, her experiments, and finally how she's found success. In two seconds you'd also realize that she's not afraid of dietary fat, isn't struggling with satiety or hunger control, either. In fact, if you bothered to even read the OP, you would have realized that she isn't looking for advice because she's found what works for her, which ISN'T what you're screaming from the rooftop.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Getting most of your calories from fat is a good way to have a nutrient deficiency
    nihil

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Gah! I don't understand this. Why still afraid of fat??? You need to up the fat and drop the fruit. 1/2 T of fat here and there is nothing... your diet is still VERY lacking in the amount of fat you need, and at the same time you are dosing yourself far too often with simple carbs from the fruit.
    Typical day of eating:
    2-3 eggs, some type of veggie (asparagus, spinach), small piece of fruit, maybe some bacon, chicken or turkey sausage (I read labels so no gluten etc.). Coffee with 1-2 T of coconut milk. I use maybe 1/2 T of butter to cook the stuff

Lunch varies, but typically a lot of lean protein. Today was a salad with 6 oz of chicken breast, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and maybe 1/2 T of olive oil. Some days I just have a couple of boiled eggs and turkey. Sometimes I throw in fruit (particularly on cross fit day).

Dinner is generally grilled meat in some form (chicken, lamb, steak), cooked with no extra fat. Sides vary, but generally a veggie prepared with about 1/2 T of fat. 2-3 times a week, there might be a sweet potato or winter squash. Maybe 2 times a month, potatoes or rice. I often have fruit if I didn't have any at lunch.

I rarely "snack". I might have a snack 1-2 times a week and it is generally either an egg of some sort or a small amounts of nuts like 20 almonds. 2-3 times a month I have a more serious snack- like yesterday I ate a regular muffin (grain based treats are really rare for me- like once every couple months), sometimes something like a paleo cake or ice cream (I just realized I have not had ice cream since September...). I stay conscious of the calories - for example, if I have a paleo cake for dessert, I would not have a sweet potato and would prepare my veggies with minimal fat at dinner.
    There is a lot of fat in my diet. I did the whole VLC high fat plan and felt like shit with no uptick in rate of weightloss. I think VLC works great for some people, but for me, I just got more and more run down to the point of constant lethargy which puts the kibosh on working out. And I don't want to live like that, LOL.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    And to be quite honest, a "high fat diet" sounds just as unappealing as a "low fat diet". Food swimming in fat is gross to me.

But I appreciate the contribution to the discussion... maybe it will work for someone else.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And to be quite honest, a "high fat diet" sounds just as unappealing as a "low fat diet". Food swimming in fat is gross to me.

But I appreciate the contribution to the discussion... maybe it will work for someone else.
    You are right, I am sorry that I came on too strong here. Thank you for the gracious replies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234