Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Classic page

Classic is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Classic

Primal Fuel
    My fellow Seattleite, Sharonll has inspired me to start my own journal instead of lurking around adding my two cents worth here and there.
    I have been PB since second week of February 2010 and have lost 11 pounds. The first 2 months this also included 2 inches off each hips, stomach and chest. Off and on I feel really good. If I spend too many days in ketosis I start feeling pretty awful though. (I know when I am in ketosis cuz I have those test strips).
    I was in ketosis most of last week and gained a pound. Since I have been working out quite a bit I assume I am gaining muscle. I would just like to see the weight go down as well.
    I started in Feb 244 and was at 233 this morning. I would like to lose 8lbs this month.
    According to Fitday my statistics for the last couple of weeks are as follows:
    Fat 72%
    Carb 8%
    Prot 16%
    Alch 4%
    I am going to mostly forgo the wine for this month I think.
    I have been eating a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil prior to meals or working out (total 6T/day at most) to help with energy.
    Recently I have been having a hard time sleeping without waking a lot.
    Interestingly last weekend I made some coconut ice cream (made mostly with coconut milk) and have been having a serving in the evening. Last night I noticed right after I had my serving I got very warm and seemed energized after feeling pretty tired and ready for sleep while watching the tube. This is probably one of the reasons I have been having a hard time sleeping. DUH I knew I had this affect with the oil (which is why I use it during the day) but had not thought about the milk in this light. I am not sure why this did not occur to me before. hmmm

This month I am going to record all my food in Fitday and continue my twice a week weight training. I am going to try and keep up my latest 2xweek running (in my vibrams, what fun) along with long, hilly walks with my dog. I am also golfing once a week. I thought I would try vibrams for that too.

I am going to work on staying in steady ketosis for 4 days a week. Will relax a bit on weekends.
    I am not going to weigh myself till the end of the month but I will measure myself next week to see how I am doing there. My partner tells me I am smaller even if I don't weigh less.
    That is my story and I will try to keep myself on track by recording how things are going here.

I slept much better last night. From now on I will eat no coconut products after 3pm.
    Went for a fun run in my vibrams with my dog this morning. It was a little chilly but the sun was peaking out. I like running much better now since I switched to vibrams. I just feel more like a kid again. Since it requires much shorter strides I don't get sore abductors any longer. I am not concerned with how fast I run but try to keep my heart rate between 130 and 145 with a few sprints sprinkled in. So much more enjoyable than trying to worry about time.
    Today I will be making some oxtail stew. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
    yesterday
    1,984 caloriess
    Fat (74%)
    Carbs (9%)
    Protein (17%)

Ok, today I rode my bike to work for the first time in a couple of months (round trip 17 miles) and I really struggled with my energy this morning on the way to work. On the way home I felt better. Perhaps that is because I had a spoonful of coconut butter before I left work.
    I am going to try and up my protein intake somewhat. I think I should be at around 90g/day and I have been more like the 70 or 80g level. Big Ribeye steak tonight should help.

I feel really good today. The added protein must have helped. I am going to try for another bike ride today to get ready for my 40 miler this weekend. Funny, a couple of years ago a 40 miler would seem like a lite day on the bike but I weigh 30 pounds more today than I did back then. I can't wait till I get below 200. It will feel heavenly I am sure. It has been 10 years since I have dipped below 200 and It has been 15 years since I was at my goal weight of 160. I have a reunion with some old riding buddies in Tenessee this coming October. I would like to be below 200 by then. If I could lose at least 6 pounds a month I would be at 197 then. I think that is a reasonable goal.
    Yesterday stats.
    Calories - 2267
    Fats - 70%
    Carb - 9%
    Prot - 21%
    Last edited by Classic; 05-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Well, yesterday I ate a few more carbs than I would like. Seems I was hungry after my bike ride the day before.
    I had a great weight training session though. Upped my deadlift wt. to 135lbs. I will have to use wrists straps for any more than that because my hands cannot hang on to much more. It is really hell getting old. I used to have really strong hands. When I was in my 20's I worked green chain in a saw mill and had really got strong hands from that. Now I think I am paying for it. The strength has improved with PB eating but not enough to my liking.

I must say that I sleep much better when I have a few more carbs in my diet but higher carbs means not in ketosis. So, is this a trap??? I sleep better when not in ketosis (less stress hormone) but I am not burning fat like I should. This is a dilemma for me.

Stats from yesterday
    Calories - 2136
    Fat - 72%
    Carb - 17%
    Prot - 12%
    I need to get my carbs lower to lose weight I am afraid. I need to keep my fat intake up earlier in the day I think to stop the hunger.
    Last edited by Classic; 05-06-2010 at 08:27 AM.

These last couple of days have been extremely busy. Not much time to spend here. Today I did much better with my ratios. I went golfing last night. Beautiful Seattle evening. Now, if my diet could just help my golf game I would be all set. I believe the latest excercise plan I have been doing will help with my drives but getting it to go in the right direction can be challenging sometimes. ;-) Plan on doing the Skagit Classic spring bike ride tomorrow. 40 miles if my butt can handle it. I haven't been riding much lately. Seems the weather is finally warming up a bit. This spring has been extremely chilly here in Seattle.
    Calories - 2072
    Fat - 72%
    Carb - 8%
    Prot - 20%

I posted most of this in a thread from last night but thought I should have it recorded here in my journal as well.
    I went on a 43 mile bike ride yesterday and thought all I needed was some coconut oil mixed with butter and a couple of those coconut oil, nut, coffee, date balls that I made from a recipe on this site. I figured the rest stops would have bananas etc. (It was an organized ride).
    Welllll, After the second long hill (I live in the NW) and getting to the last rest stop about 2pm.
    THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD. So no bananas. All that was left were bagels and I refuse to eat those. I thought I would be fine with the snacks I had brought but evidently there was not enough carbs for the level of activity I was performing.
    Half way up the next set of hills I lost it. I felt just awful. My entire body was shaking, I felt like I was going to puke and I just had to get off the bike and sit down. I felt like I had hit a wall. That has never happened to me before. The muscles in my body would not work any longer.

Fortunately I realized I had thrown an orange in my bike bag just before we left for the morning so that got me to a safer place and a spot where I could find a banana. (some wonderful Canadian woman on a motorcycle heard me ask for a banana at a restaurant in the next tiny town we came to and offered me one out of her motorcycle panniers. What a generous thing for her to do for a perfect stranger.
    Wow, I learn something new all the time. Always before, I just ate the cookies etc. that were laid out for us on those rides. From now on I am bringing my own bananas.
    I finished the ride but feel like I am still recovering today. The only excercise I am doing today is taking the dog for a couple of walks. I did eat another banana this morning but am still going to try and keep my carbs low. I also drank 16 ounces of Kombucha this morning. It seemed like my body needed it. I feel much better now.
    I hope everyone is having a wonderful Mother's Day. It is beautiful in Seattle and the Mariners appear to be winning (an unusual happening) so all is well.
    Yesterdays statistics
    calories - 2104
    Fat - 66%
    Carb - 24%
    Prot - 10%
    Fitday said I needed more than twice this number of calories for the amount of exercise I did. I couldn't eat that many.
    Last edited by Classic; 05-09-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: to add caloric data

WillRunForChocolate is offline Junior Member
    Good for you bringing primal exercise fuel on your bike rid. I have been relying on Gu for my long runs but am going to experiment with primal foods. I saw the recipe for the coconut date balls and will have to try them.

It must have been scary when the rest stop ran out of food. It's a good lesson for all of us to bring more than enough just in case there is either no food or no acceptable options. Best of luck!

I have been trying to think of a way to make a primal "GU". Something like bananas mashed with coconut butter or something. I will have to experiment a little. I think the trickiest part will be the container. hmmm

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, it felt like I was refeeding yesterday but even after having a whole banana I still kept my carbs fairly low when all was totaled. I slept like a rock all night as well. It must have been that primal ice cream I ate about an hour before going to bed. I also got my protein intake to a good quantity. I was a little worried after Saturdays low Protein of 10%. After all the biking I needed some Protein to build/maintain muscle. I feel pretty good this morning. I think I will do a weight training session later when I have a break from work.
    Calories - 2134
    Fat - 68%
    Carb - 9%
    Prot - 24%

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast