Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weaning and toddler nutrition page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
    Short answer to your question: No, she doesn't need milk.

My younger daughter has always refused to drink milk of any kind. I weaned her around 16 months. She's two years old now, and has been perfectly healthy. But she's a major meat-eater. The kid will eat anything that used to be animal flesh.

Oddly enough, my elder daughter (5 years old) will drink milk like it's going out of style. But I can't get her to eat hardly any meat.

That's kids for you. It evens out in the end. Unless you're doing something really wretched (which you're obviously not), they'll be fine.
    My daughter loves meat, too! She calls all meats 'chicken', lol.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Honestly, you can take her straight to normal adult foods at this point. She doesn't need milks/etc.

I would contain her nursing a bit -- start with specific times of day. Easy enough to say "it's not the right time now. we'll do it before bed." or something similar. She'll get it.

That might kick-start your fertility, and if it doesn't, then decrease again and see how it goes.
    Are there certain foods or nutrition she needs more of, that I should be paying attention to? Supplements?

She's always just eaten a bit of whatever she likes from what we are eating, but she can be quite picky. Some days she only wants rice, some days she only wants fish, etc.

We're cutting down the nursing now, mainly during the day since she's distracted.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Not that I know of. Keep providing a variety and see how it goes. You'll see how she adjusts over time. Try not to worry too much.

Sophaholic is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I'm in Hong Kong, and it's common that kids take formula past 1, even up to 3 or 4 years old. The formula companies market very aggressively. My daughter is rather petite compared to kids here. The other day we met a 14-month-old child larger than her.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I am not sure if she is getting enough nutrition from food. She eats an average of 4 cups of food daily, which is a lot less than what I've seen other kids her age and younger can eat. The toddlers I have observed around me eat a lot of bread, rice, and biscuits, in addition to a big bottle of milk/formula.
    Comparison is a mother's worst enemy It's not just diet that determines size, genetics are a major factor. I know beautifully nourished children who look half their age & badly nourished ones who will soon be taller than their parents. Don't forget, those other children that you're observing are filling up on empty sugars; it's no wonder they eat more than your child.

I read long ago that as long as they eat one decent meal a day, don't stress about the others. And FOUR cups? My children are great eaters and four cups is a VERY good amount of food! I'd be amazed if mine ate that much in one day.

Whilst I've said don't compare, I know it's hard not to. So, if it helps as a guide - my two are two and four. IF they ate EVERYTHING I gave them in a typical day, they'd have: eat two eggs at breakfast, veg & meat at lunch (a floret of broccoli, a carrot, sometimes a small potato, about two tbsps of meat), and the same at dinner. Chuck in some fruit too - a couple of bananas, or maybe an apple and a pear. Snack is cheese, cherry tomatoes and cucumber.

In a normal day? I'd say they eat most of their breakfast, half the veg at lunch and none of the meat, and the meat and half the veg at dinner. They do eat their cheese/salad veg snack too. If I let them, they'd subsist on fruit and naff all else (damn bananas!). Some days they eat practically nothing, others they'll eat everything I can find in the fridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12