Thread: Nightshades!! page

oszy13 is offline Junior Member

Nightshades!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had a recent episode with processed foods. I won't go into too much detail about it. It has led me to believe I have a sensitivity to nightshades. Especially tomatoes.

Now I know tomatoes are considered paleo but other nightshade produce such as potatoes aren't.

Can anyone clarify why this is the case? Also I've read from numerous articles that consumption of uncooked tomatoes can possibly increase the acidity of blood there by increasing susceptibility to disorders such as osteoporosis.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Tomatoes, Potatoes, Peppers and Eggplant are all nightshades, they are all sort of Paleo, but they can be allergenic and some people do have reactions to them, they should only be a compliment in your diet, not a staple.

Paleo definitions can vary depending on whose rules you choose to follow.

The main thing in your post that stuck out for me was "processed food", are you sure it was tomatoe and not some other additive?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oszy13 View Post
    It has led me to believe I have a sensitivity to nightshades. Especially tomatoes.

Can anyone clarify why this is the case?
    This is an easy one. We are all individuals and different. Therefore if it makes you unwell, don't eat it. Simples.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oszy13 View Post
    I had a recent episode with processed foods. I won't go into too much detail about it. It has led me to believe I have a sensitivity to nightshades. Especially tomatoes.

Now I know tomatoes are considered paleo but other nightshade produce such as potatoes aren't.

Can anyone clarify why this is the case? Also I've read from numerous articles that consumption of uncooked tomatoes can possibly increase the acidity of blood there by increasing susceptibility to disorders such as osteoporosis.
    Yes, all the nightshades are paleo, except white potatoes. But they are really bad for people who have arthritis or for those who are just beginning to develop it. Those with arthritis, like me, should eat no nightshades and add tumeric to as many of their foods as possible.

Some people with arthritis are sensitive to nightshades and some are not. It would be a lot simpler if all with arthritis were. I hadn't heard of a connection to osteoporosis, do you have a link? It makes sense.