Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo-friendly Breath Mints / Fresheners page

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Out of all the foods I stopped eating when I started the paleo diet, Altoids are perhaps the most missed. I like having a clean, fresh taste in my mouth.

So are there any good paleo-friendly alternatives to breath mints? I tried chewing on fennel seeds and mint leaves, but it just isn't the same.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It's just a habit. I used to do similar years ago and then I realized, it was just a habit.

"This, too, shall pass."

(It's a little known fact that Grok could bring down a saber toothed tiger at 50 paces with his breath.)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I still chew trident. I can't help myself.

Ailu is offline Junior Member

I gotta say, watch out for the sorbitol! It's in almost every sugar-free mint or gum. I know it's not PB but people eat it anyway. But one BIG side effect that we are not told about is that it irritates the lining of the stomach in most people. My stomach was always burning like I was starving to death. Finally found out it was the Velamints I was popping a couple of times a day.

- Ailu

Catalina is offline Member

Mark had a post about gum a couple weeks ago that had a link to Glee Gum kits:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/phenylketonurics-chewing-gum/

I'll be you could make your own gum without sugar or artificial sweeteners (maybe stevia?).

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Bad breath is often caused by a big population of bacteria in the mouth. Keep some floss with you with a small toothbrush and clean your teeth after every meal. (Removing rotting foods from between the teeth will go a long way).

http://www.animated-teeth.com/bad_br...bad_breath.htm

On the origins of gum:

http://inventors.about.com/od/gstart...ions/a/gum.htm

People have chewed on various tree saps and plants for a long time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum

Spruce sap (Native Americans) Chicle (Aztecs) and Mastiche (Ancient Greeks) seem to be the most common plants. Some tree saps are sweet (Birch, Maple can be used to make syrup when collected in spring) and may cause an insulin reaction. Coconut sap appears to be very nutritious:

http://www.coconutsecret.com/Tappingthesap2.html

In Bolivia and Peru people also chew the coca leaf however this is in order to help them support high altitudes when they are in the mountains. It is acidic and bad for the teeth though.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I used to soak toothpicks in a jar of anise oil. That was years ago. I just don't bother now. Back then it gave me that taste I wanted. Maybe vanilla extract could work just as well.

Tree sap is a real thing too, but know what you are doing. Too often newbies pick 'tree sap' that I call frass. That is a dignified word for bug crap. I admit, it looks like congealed sap.
    Last edited by periquin; 05-03-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added line

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Eat some steak. Beef breath turns the ladies wild.

OnTheRun is offline Junior Member
    Wanting to avoid table sugar and aspartame/sucralose, I opted for Spry (contains xylitol). Having read quite a bit about xylitol (dental benefits, 70% less calories than sugar), I figured it was worth a punt (paleo/not).

Picked up a small packet of peppermint flavour and also their spearmint from a health food store. The peppermint didn't appeal at all but I like the spearmint a lot. I've since ordered a 3 pack of 100 gum tubs and while not going overboard on 'dosage', I haven't had any breath issues in ages.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Eat some steak. Beef breath turns the ladies wild.
    If by wild you mean 'wildly running to the other direction', then yes.

For me it's beer and cigarettes :] a manly smell :0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast