Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity Paradox - cuddly may be healthier page

Omni is offline Senior Member

Obesity Paradox - cuddly may be healthier

Primal Fuel
    Just stumbled across this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/he...an-weight.html

Looks like BMI of 25-30, or even 35 possibly has lower mortality risk than "Normal" BMI of 18-25.

Being fit is more important than looking fit, lean may actually be unhealthy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. Especially as you get older. Thin is great for vanity, hell, that's my reason, but carrying a little extra weight is best for health especially as one gets older. More cushioning when the elderly falls and generally better health than one who loses their appetite and the corresponding weight loss.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser did a good write-up on this recently:
    Do fat people live longer?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    This makes me happy to keep focusing on building strength and ignore the scale. I can deadlift my body weight, so I assume BMI means nothing.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    And when the zombies come, people with a slightly higher bmi will have more time to find food sources. 10% body fat will soon be gone. 50%+ body fat won't be able to escape. So the lightly plump will survive.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    If fat storage is indeed our evolutionary design as a survival mechanism...this makes total sense.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Being fatter is deffo not better for my knees though
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Zach is offline Banned
    Meh, doesnt mean you cant be lean and healthy. Most just toss health in the backseat in pursuit of leanness.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Having actually read this article there's a couple points I'd like to draw your attention to.

Obesity is the primary risk factor for Type 2 diabetes, yet sizable numbers of normal-weight people also develop the disease. Why?
    Because thin people in Western countries also cram too much processed food down their throats?

Diabetes patients of normal weight are twice as likely to die as those who are overweight or obese.
    Because the medical establishment equates thinness with health, so obese patients are more pressured to make lifestyle improvements? How many of us have heard someone say that somebody can 'get away with' eating sugary, unhealthy food because the person is skinny?

I don't know for sure if I'm right, or that points about having more fat reserves making one more resilient to cancer treatments, surgeries, and dialysis aren't also true. But those were a couple thoughts I had right off the bat.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Having actually read this article there's a couple points I'd like to draw your attention to.

Because thin people in Western countries also cram too much processed food down their throats?

Because the medical establishment equates thinness with health, so obese patients are more pressured to make lifestyle improvements? How many of us have heard someone say that somebody can 'get away with' eating sugary, unhealthy food because the person is skinny?

I don't know for sure if I'm right, or that points about having more fat reserves making one more resilient to cancer treatments, surgeries, and dialysis aren't also true. But those were a couple thoughts I had right off the bat.

I feel its both, Spiper. Obese and overweight people are focused on more to change diet/lifestyle, but they also have more room for error. Leaner people with metabolic syndrome may be deathly ill inside and most healthcare professionals won't be able to see it with mere glances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast