Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toxicity and eating liver page

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member

Toxicity and eating liver

Primal Fuel
    I love liver- well, beef in particular but also chicken, never tried another animal. Here's my concern: even getting (ideally) grass-fed or (more likely) organic livers, is it healthy in regards to toxins, etc? It seems like I've heard/read several places that you should limit liver intake due to their role in filtering all the toxic crap from the animal.

Also, maybe a really stupid question: is beef liver and calf liver the same? Because, if not, I am sure that eating calf liver would reduce any toxins. I wonder if people just use the labels interchangeably though.

I did a search on the forums to see if this had already been discussed but all I came up with was a bunch of results showing that you all loves you some liver.

And, on an aside..... my brother (very picky eater) and I have loved liver since we were kids. We were raised very poor so liver was a good cheap meat option. Well our mom was concerned that we would hear others kids didn't like "liver" so she told us what we were eating was "steak". We loved steak! Well, one time (special occasion), my step-father's parents were coming over for dinner and my mom was doing her best to have a nice spread. So she served real steak. But once it got delivered to the table, my brother (7) and I (5) started saying, "This isn't steak, WE WANT STEAK!!!" My mom, embarrassingly, had to explain to her in-laws. Funny little kids, we didn't like steak but we loved liver.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE liver!

I eat it every other day. A big slice. At WF, beef liver is only 2$ a pound, whereas calf's is 8$. I actually prefer the former since it's stronger and firmer.

As for the toxicity, I don't think too much of it. I have read that if you eat lots of Vitamin A, though, you should also take in enough Vitamin D to balance it.

Thanks for the reply, rphlslv. Guess I've just never had calf liver- I figured people were inadvertently using 'calf' in place of 'beef'.

So, nobody else has heard about the toxicity of eating liver? Any definitive info on this? Doing internet searches, one can come up with anything to support any side of a topic so I was hoping that it'd been discussed here or on other healthful lifestyle sites. Hmph.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

rahchis is offline Junior Member
    Liver only filters the toxins, so that their neutralized. If memory serves me well, it doesn't retain them. Thus, eat up.

Thanks, rahchis. I tip my liver-laden fork in your direction.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Even if it does it's not it's the end of the world. Oh no oh no a herbivore's liver! Must contain stuff from plants! I think that awesome nutrition is worth any toxins you get. We evolved for millions of years eating this stuff and got pretty good at eliminating toxic stuff. We're pretty darn good at it given proper nutrition like in...say...liver.

Also every single paleo authority recommends it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Roach is offline Senior Member
    I try to consume 1/2lb of liver a week. I feel even better since incorporating it into my diet. I know you can't just go on how you feel but I am completely unconcerned about claims of liver's toxicity. I've also heard from plenty of people that saturated fat and cholesterol are going to make my heart explode.

Here's some info on this glorious organ meat...

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Liver-Files.html

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I eat liver. Everyone should. It is just about the most nutrient dense meat that there is. Sadly, it is replete with toxins. I hold that the nutrients far outway the toxins. Because of the potential toxin count, I prefer calf's liver. Less time exposed to 'whatever'. Also, I try to eat only organic liver.

The only people that I can think of that should not eat liver--or at least, not eat very much of it--are people who have kidney problems or gout. It is a serious vector for purines.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rahchis View Post
    Liver only filters the toxins, so that their neutralized. If memory serves me well, it doesn't retain them. Thus, eat up.
    are you sure about this?!?!?! liver is my FAVORITE FOOD, chicken or beef.... i was only getting it once a week b/c i didnt wanna overload... its so cheap hell i'd eat it all the time!

gt74 is offline Member
    Timely thread. I've just sat down to try lambs liver for the first time. Interesting flavour and I'm sure I could come to enjoy it eventually.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes for liver?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast