Thread: Wife goes primal; husband refuses but still loses 9 pounds! page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Wife goes primal; husband refuses but still loses 9 pounds!

Shop Now
    It figures. I asked my husband to do primal with me in Feb. and he told me it would be too stressful to have his food choices restricted. He does have a "If someone else cooks it, I will eat it" mantra and has eaten mostly primal food for dinner and primal leftovers for lunch (with some white potatoes and rice here and there). He does insist on two pieces of toast in the morning (I finally converted him to sprouted cinnamon raisin from bagels-ughh!) He is generally quite fit but had developed quite a pie belly over the holidays (I do make awesome pie!)

I thought the pie belly had diminished significantly yesterday and asked him if he'd weighed himself lately. He said he'd lost 9 pounds! I've lost close to a pants size so I'm not complaining but it is interesting that you can not really do primal and still lose 9 pounds.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    It's not really fair, is it? The guys seem to get away with much more than 20% and still reap the benefits.

However, you took the initiative and you can be proud of both of your results. Well done.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Since I started losing weight, my boyfriend has lost 20 pounds and has gone down from 25% bodyfat to 20%. He doesn't need to lose more weight.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My husband lost 45 lbs doing something like 50-70% primal - and counting calories. He is maintaining effortlessly on ~70%. Honestly, I think the biggest benefits are in making junk food a once a week thing and grains a one serving a day thing.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of ways to lose weight, but for me, only one ay to feel as awesome as I do, and that's Paleo

Sophaholic is offline Junior Member
    My husband is the same. He's extremely on-board with the Primal (I'm sure the word 'zealot' has been used about us more than once!) but he cheats with ease - and not just the vaguely reasonable style cheats of some wild rice or buttery potatoes, I'm talking McVomits and panini and pizza. Yet he still drops the weight ten times faster than me if we're correcting an off-plan weight gain (yeah, thanks for that Christmas...).

I am convinced that it's because I was subject to a lot more pressure about my body from a young age (I'm not jumping on the 'evil media' bandwagon - there were numerous factors) and I succumbed to all sorts of diets and fads in effort to find a quick fix. Consequently, I think my metabolism is dead on its feet, whereas the word 'diet' didn't enter my husband's lexicon until he was mid-twenties.

On the plus side, when we're trying to drop some weight, we both write our weight on the fridge door each morning - damn, does beating his ass ever motivate me to eat clean!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal isn't the only way to lose weight. It's a healthy way of eating and living but overall it's mostly calories in/calories expended that factors into weight loss. Also guys will have an easier tune of it, all those testosterone. Humph.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like this story fits in perfectly with this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread80268-2.html

But, yes, men do tend to lose weight by doing the littlest things!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Sophaholic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Primal isn't the only way to lose weight. It's a healthy way of eating and living but overall it's mostly calories in/calories expended that factors into weight loss. Also guys will have an easier tune of it, all those testosterone. Humph.
    I love how this was completely sensible and level headed...and then ended in "Humph!"