Thread: Digesting meat protein page

Caamsl is offline Junior Member

Digesting meat protein

Primal Fuel
    I have tried to go primal 3times to date and have such trouble. I don't lose weight, I gain it. I don't seem to digest the meat well, always bloated. I am at risk for diabetes so I want to get it under control before it becomes an issue. I loved eating like this and getting creative with the recipes. Before the question comes out, yes I did it for long enough. I tried it. Anywhere from 6 months to 2 years each time. I just felt run down and digestively insufficient. I went gluten free 7 years ago and never looked back. I notice better weight loss and more digestion on vegetarian diet but I miss meat. Plus I get addicted to grains. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    What sort of meat disagreed with you? All meat and animal products, including seafood?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused, your post seems filled with contradictions.

If you don't digest meat, how can you gain weight from it? Digestion is your body breaking down the food into nutrients for your body to use.

You say you are gluten free and haven't looked back. But you are addicted to grains. Are these gluten-free gains like rice you are talking about?

What does vegetarian mean? That your animal sources are dairy, eggs and fish? Because you can be perfectly healthy with those as your protein sources.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like unbalanced gut flora to me.

I can tolerate chicken and fish for a decent time but eventually I have issues with that too. I can't do beef or pork or turkey or other fowl besides the chicken.

As for the gaining weight, as soon as I "settled in" to the diet about 8weeks in my body went from trying to adjust to going haywire. I did not lose one single pound in 8weeks. Instead I gained weight, around 8 lbs. I went to the dr because I was feeling so poor and my bloodwork said I had inflammation in my body. He agreed that this was a good eating plan but I wasn't reacting well. Blood pressure high, heart rate high, things I never had problems with before. He suggested I take a break and try again once I balanced out. I did twice more with the same reaction.

When I eat meat I feel ill like and heavy. I can feel it in my stomach for forever and it's very uncomfortable.

I have trouble with keeping level sugar and yes I get addicted to gluten free grains. They wear off and I need more. I eat them and I need to eat more. I think about them all the time. I called that an addiction.

As for vegetarian, it is mostly beans, eggs and occasional fish that I am referring to. I am lactose intolerant and get the same rot gut from dairy as I had gotten from beef. I know you can make a healthy lifestyle out of that but I also know that our bodies are intended to eat meat. There s nutrition there that is just unmatched elsewhere.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I had a hard time digesting meat when I was high fat/low carb, with little to no starch. To top it off, I had gastritis which made things worse.

I recently shifted my macros: higher carb (I eat sweet potatoes 2 - 3x/day) lower fat, moderate protein. My gastritis is gone, and I don't burp meat tasting breath hours later. YAY! Oh, and my pooping vastly improved
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    "He suggested I take a break and try again once I balanced out. I did twice more with the same reaction. "
    Yeah, sounds like your gut flora need to adjust. Do you take any probiotics?

When you 'take a break', what does that mean? What is your 'normal' diet?

"When I eat meat I feel ill like and heavy. I can feel it in my stomach for forever and it's very uncomfortable. "
    How much meat do you eat? Because you get the most benefit from the first bite, and less benefit with each subsequent bite. Maybe start with trace elements of mince in a stir fry?

Is it possible that there is a psychosomatic component?

"I have trouble with keeping level sugar and yes I get addicted to gluten free grains. They wear off and I need more. I eat them and I need to eat more. I think about them all the time. I called that an addiction. "
    Hrmm, and this is when you are 'good'? That doesn't sound 'good' to me.

If I were you I'd definitely cut back hard on non-primal grains. (Rice is still good though )

"As for vegetarian, it is mostly beans, eggs and occasional fish that I am referring to. I am lactose intolerant and get the same rot gut from dairy as I had gotten from beef. I know you can make a healthy lifestyle out of that but I also know that our bodies are intended to eat meat. There s nutrition there that is just unmatched elsewhere. "
    Eggs and fish are great protein sources. It's possible you are lactose intolerant, but you can still experiment with eating ghee (clarified butter, where the milk proteins have been removed, leaving pure butterfat).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I do not take probiotics today, but can see I will be starting tomorrow. I appreciate the advice. I am also adding in digestive enzymes and fermented foods to help as well. I am going to take another whack at this and use the advice here. Thanks and here's hoping!

As for the mental hang up on gluten free carbs, I know it isn't related because I crave the meat as well. It is a plain and simple addiction that is better processed because I use it up fast. Or should I say not better processed because I use it up so fast. Either way I don't want to not be able to walk away from something that effects me negatively.