Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: full-fat vs fat-free greek yogurt? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

full-fat vs fat-free greek yogurt?

Primal Fuel
    I found greek yogurt at the supermarket! (Not easy, all yogurts I've seen here are low-fat regular sweetened yogurt)

Just wondering what the difference is between full-fat or fat-free except for the fat content? I mainly want to add it to my diet for probiotics and some variety.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The fat content is the best part. Yum.

Paleobird Guest
    Also, when they take out the fat, they replace it with extra milk solids to improve the texture which means the yogurt ends up being higher in lactose (a sugar) than real milk.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    The fat is the same as found in butter. And the Pure full fat yogurt has had the lactose fermented out by the microorganisms. Whereabouts are you? In Australia every supermarket has at least 4 different brands of Greek Style yogurt.

It also makes a great drink "Ayran" which Turks drink by the gallon, just whisk a couple of heaped tablespoons of full fat Greek Style Yogurt into a cup of water in a bowl and drink as a smoothie. Turks are mostly lactose intolerant so this is their drinking "milk". Sheeps yogurt is the best if you can get it.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also, when they take out the fat, they replace it with extra milk solids to improve the texture which means the yogurt ends up being higher in lactose (a sugar) than real milk.
    Fage and Chobani do not do this. Same amount of lactose in Fage full vs non fat and same amount of lactose in Chobani non vs low fat. I like to get the non fat of either and add coconut oil. That way I get the amount and type of fat I want. I already get plenty of dairy fat with cheese and butter. No need for more in my yogurt.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Fage and Chobani do not do this. Same amount of lactose in Fage full vs non fat and same amount of lactose in Chobani non vs low fat. I like to get the non fat of either and add coconut oil. That way I get the amount and type of fat I want. I already get plenty of dairy fat with cheese and butter. No need for more in my yogurt.
    I totally agree. I eat Fage and really can't tell the difference between 0% and 2% besides a little creaminess. Nutritionally they're almost identical besides the fat content.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    The yogurt brand I found is Fage. Only full-fat and 0% fat. There are no other brands of Greek yogurt here, only 'greek-style' yogurt.

How do you know whether the lactose content is the same or not?

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I'v always had the full fat version every day. I don't see the point in low fat versions of anything
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Look at the nutritional facts table for both and compare.

The low-fat one probably has much more sugar; if it doesn't, look at the ingredients list, as it probably has aspertame, sucralose, or another artificial sweetener in it.

The full-fat one will have less sugar. I recommend unsweetneed, plain, full-fat yogurt. At first I used to think it was gross, but I now love it. I don't buy it very often, but when I do I add some vanilla extract and enjoy. If I want a sweeter treat, I add raw honey or maple syrup; however, the last time I did this I found it way way too sweet. (I guess my tastes have changed!) Instead, I add a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin which gives it just enough sweetness and added nutrients.

Bottom line: skip the low-fat/light/etc. garbage. It tastes like crap anyway.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As far as I'm aware, the fat free version will have more carb and less protein...not to mention less taste

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast