Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: full-fat vs fat-free greek yogurt? page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Fat-free Greek yogurt is an oxymoron. There's no such thing.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Fat-free Greek yogurt is an oxymoron. There's no such thing.
    This.

FF Greek yogurt is a sad Americanized bastardization.

The end.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the fat free version will have more carb and less protein...not to mention less taste
    Wrong. Fage nonfat has same sugar/carb and more protein, same with Chobani. Can't tell the difference in taste.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fage is one of the few brands that doesn't add carbs to the 0 fat product (or maybe it's one gram of carb more per serving). Since the main reason to avoid fat free is the weird crap they usually put in to compensate for the missing fat, Fage is one of the few brands where the zero fat is okay imo. But if you have access to both, might as well eat the full fat one.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    I'v always had the full fat version every day. I don't see the point in low fat versions of anything
    That is why I add coconut oil. Gives me much more flexibility in how much and what type of fat I eat. Since I am on a VLC diet, probably average less than 30g/day with some days closer to zero, I need a lot of fat and I want most of it to come from evoo and coconut oil. I get more than enough dairy fat from cheese and butter.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    I usually get the 0% or 2% Fage greek yogurt--not because I'm concerned about the fat, but because the taste of the full fat variety is too rich for me.

I don't understand the comment above about the use of artificial sweetener (particularly in plain yogurt). I don't believe that's the case, at least as far as Fage's products go...

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    I usually get the 0% or 2% Fage greek yogurt--not because I'm concerned about the fat, but because the taste of the full fat variety is too rich for me.

I don't understand the comment above about the use of artificial sweetener (particularly in plain yogurt). I don't believe that's the case, at least as far as Fage's products go...
    You're talking about one brand: Fage. They may be doing things right, but the vast majority don't.

Grab some of the Yoplait, Dannon, or other popular brands and do a side-by-side. Low-fat/light/fat-free/etc. = increased sugar or artificial sweeteners in most cases. The big NYT article that was linked to all over the forums about General Mills, Coke, and other big food names specifically call out that the fat-free Yoplait yogurts have more sugar in it per serving than Lucky Charms cereal.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Wrong. Fage nonfat has same sugar/carb and more protein, same with Chobani. Can't tell the difference in taste.
    Note the "as far as I'm aware". It is certainly the case for the brands available in the UK.

NeoSapien is offline Junior Member
    If you want fat free yogurt go with Icelandic Skyr. They really have the taste and texture down. It's a lot thicker than the nonfat greek yogurt and was designed to be made from skim milk originally anyway.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    ...I don't see the point in low fat versions of anything
    Quoted for truthiness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast