Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Nails page

cayla29s is offline Senior Member

Stronger Nails

Shop Now
    Hey Ladies,

I noticed that since I went Primal my fingernails seem to break much more. Prior to that my nails hardly break and they always stay long. I wear gloves when I do dishes or try not to soak my hands too much in water so they don't get soft and brittle.

I don't low carb at all. My fat intake is about 70g daily and my protein intake is about 100g and up. I believe I get enough nutrients as I eat a very diverse diet.

What am I missing here? Any primal foods that you can recommend?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Silica and gelatin

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Bone broth.
    And mmmmmmmmmarrow.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Silica and gelatin
    Gelatin I would agree with. It's basically what both Knife and I were saying about eating bones in one way or another. I make iced tea jello as well as savory jello and use gelatin as a thickener in soups/stews.

Silica is sand. Please don't get sucked in to the marketing hype about this stuff. Eating sand makes no sense. None.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    My nails have seemed stronger since going Primal.
    Are you sure its diet related? I've noticed that in dry months, if I don't moisturize my hands enough my nails also get dry and tend to crack.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I have been eating beef bone broth too. It is cold where I am right now so maybe I just need to moisturize my hands more often. The nails are strong but they just freaking chip like crazy.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    You could also try supplementing with Biotin. It's supposed to be suuuuuuper good for hair and nails. Didn't do jack for me, but other people seem to have good experiences with taking it.

Mark had a post a while back about eating dirt/clays/earth for reference. I do this frequently. Diatomaceous earth (high silica) and clays make my nails grow a lot faster. I would estimate 2x as fast when I consistently cycle on these clays for a couple few weeks. I ingest them for other reasons but its a very noticeable result.

Coop12oz is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have the same issue. I had stronger nails pre-primal. Now mine peel and I cannot come close to getting any sort of length on them. Before primal I ate a strict "healthy" diet with no fat and lots of good whole grains. I did not consume bone marrow or bone broth before going primal. It makes me wonder if there is any type of vitamin or mineral that is only found in whole wheat products and not in other vegetable sources. I am glad to see I am not the only person who has not experienced nail growth with primal/paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast