Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stronger Nails page 2

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
    -blurry vision
    -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
    -dizziness
    -low b.p.
    -low body temperature
    -scanty menstruation or no period at all
    -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue
    -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated)

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Weirdly this just happened to me too! Two days ago every single one of my nails broke. That's never happened to me before.

The only thing I changed in my diet lately is that I've cut back on dairy (I was eating too much - now I just consume a little). About a week ago, I started taking supplements and eating bone broth daily. Weird. Could it be a shedding or something...?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
    -blurry vision
    -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
    -dizziness
    -low b.p.
    -low body temperature
    -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue
    -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated)
    Nope.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post

-pale nails Yes
    -blurry vision On occasion
    -dizziness
    -low b.p. Tested 27Feb pre-ultrasound, 105/65
    -low body temperature Yes
    -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue Face for sure, like walking dead. Dark shadows beneath my eyes, too
    -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated) This week, off the charts. Not cycle related, just finished my TOM
    I'm about a week into eating much more to try and sort out my metabolism, a la Matt Stone's Diet Recovery or Eat More 2 Weigh Less. It's my feeling that eating too low carb for too long has attributed to these problems...but I'm curious where you are going with this.

As for the Biotin supplementation, I've been taking 5000mcg/day for 6 or 8 months and while it seemed to help my nails a lot at first, they're back to splitting and peeling and generally lacking strength. It has helped my hair growth, most noticeably body hair - likely because that's the kind I'm not looking to grow longer, faster
    Last edited by lemontwisst; 03-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    forced indoor heat and cold outside temps can definitely damage nails, but dietary changes may take a month or more to show either deleterious effects or beneficial impact. be patient. and yeah, bone broth.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    I'm about a week into eating much more to try and sort out my metabolism, a la Matt Stone's Diet Recovery or Eat More 2 Weigh Less. It's my feeling that eating too low carb for too long has attributed to these problems...but I'm curious where you are going with this.

As for the Biotin supplementation, I've been taking 5000mcg/day for 6 or 8 months and while it seemed to help my nails a lot at first, they're back to splitting and peeling and generally lacking strength. It has helped my hair growth, most noticeably body hair - likely because that's the kind I'm not looking to grow longer, faster
    Your responses match mostly with the pattern of an underlying "anemia" - a type of blood lacking or reaching/circulating (low B.P. & low body temp) to nourish not only your nails (pale, brittle), but also your eyes (blurry vision), face (pale) etc.

This type of "anemia" most likely will not show up on blood tests, it falls more in line with sub-clinical symptoms. If the conventional lab tests do show anemia then the progression of the condition has already grown in severe fashion.

I would recommend increasing red meat consumption from a safe, quality source. Also eat more liver. I would recommend adding a B-Complex with possible additional B-12 supplement, if already taking these, you may need to adjust the ratios or dosage. I would recommend ingesting more amounts of bone marrow. If you are very brave or crazy enough, try eating some placenta (not joking) for nutrient boost. Up to the individual how far one is willing to go to achieve their health targets.

If unwilling to try some of the above, some more classical food wise approaches are:

Improve Circulation

Daikon radish (personal favorite)
    Leeks
    Red Wine
    Peaches
    Eggplant
    Adzuki Beans
    Spices: garlic, onions, scallions, turmeric, cayenne, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg

Improve Blood Lacking

Dragon's eye fruit (personal favorite): Lychee or Longan
    Squash
    Mushrooms
    Asparagus
    Swish Chard
    Bamboo
    Pumpkin
    Sweet Potato

The increase in emotional response is trying to tell you something, that the spirit is off balanced and needs your attention.

Generally a stressful event or the build up of multiple stressors are usually key triggers to throw the emotions off balance.

Suggestions: mediation, yoga, deep breathing exercises, laughing

Sometimes the simple methods are the best healers. We do not always need to be so tech savy or innovative when it comes to personal healing. Eating food can heal, breathing correctly can heal, laughing can heal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12