Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating coconut oil straight... page

Eating coconut oil straight...

Shop Now
    What would the health benefits be if I ate it straight? Let's say... 1-2 spoon fulls of the stuff a day?

Anyone do that here?

I'm contemplating getting a gallon of coconut oil for about $56... that's including shipping...

I already use it to remove makeup, and about to start using it for my gums... I've dabbled in eating it before, but that was when I was vegan and frying stuff like mushroom-rice burgers in it...

I dont think the health benefits alter in any fashion if you eat it straight vs. mixed/heated with something. Maybe there is some synergy with coconut oil and other foods.

I eat it straight on occasion and it suppresses hunger quite well. I have never used it for the quick energy benefits (putting to a workout test), but some say 1-2 tbsp helps.

Paleobird Guest
    For me it is a very good appetite suppressant. Say if you have a couple of hours to go until dinner and might be tempted to raid the fridge, a spoonful will shut off the hunger alarm.

Also, according to Enig and Fallon in "Eat Fat, Grow Thin", it actually increases your metabolic rate. Because it is MCTs, it breaks down and is burned off rather than storing as fat. That is the theory anyway. I don't know if it's true or not.

I particularly like it for cooking seafood.

You've convinced me, Paleobird. You look so glowy, I'm buying the coconut oil now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For me it is a very good appetite suppressant. Say if you have a couple of hours to go until dinner and might be tempted to raid the fridge, a spoonful will shut off the hunger alarm.

Also, according to Enig and Fallon in "Eat Fat, Grow Thin", it actually increases your metabolic rate. Because it is MCTs, it breaks down and is burned off rather than storing as fat. That is the theory anyway. I don't know if it's true or not.

I particularly like it for cooking seafood.

Frankie3614 is offline Junior Member
    coconut oil is a very stable fat so you can eat it in any form. I'm sure you've checked but makesure that gallon is a good quality gallon because there is a huge range out there.

I started using it as my daily facial moisturiser, and lip-balm... smells so good! I just want to eat my own face haha. does it take off make up well? do you use it for eye-makeup?

iYummy is offline Junior Member
    Yesterday I quickly swallowed down 2 Tbs of coconut oil (it had gone to liquid), and after about an hour I spent the rest of the day running to the toilet. Thankfully I didn't have to go out anywhere, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie3614 View Post
    coconut oil is a very stable fat so you can eat it in any form. I'm sure you've checked but makesure that gallon is a good quality gallon because there is a huge range out there.

I started using it as my daily facial moisturiser, and lip-balm... smells so good! I just want to eat my own face haha. does it take off make up well? do you use it for eye-makeup?
    Yep, I have a reliable brand. I've bought from that brand before. And yes, it takes off waterproof eye makeup pretty well!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    You've convinced me, Paleobird. You look so glowy, I'm buying the coconut oil now.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by iYummy View Post
    Yesterday I quickly swallowed down 2 Tbs of coconut oil (it had gone to liquid), and after about an hour I spent the rest of the day running to the toilet. Thankfully I didn't have to go out anywhere, haha!
    Yep. That can happen. I would recommend no more than 1tbsp/day to start out. Then ease upward gradually.

FiveX is offline Member
    I am definitely Coo Coo for coconut oil! I cook with it all the time (whole foods-Dr. Bronner's fair trade/organic fresh pressed virgin/whole kernel unrefined) and when I am putting it in a pan I always find myself licking off the fork! It does smell great, wow! I never thought of trying it by itself...I think I'll try a teaspoon now thanks!

patski is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how anyone can eat the stuff straight. Believe me, I've done it. But the texture makes me gag.

So I fry a lot with it.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast