Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating coconut oil straight... page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It makes me gag, too. I'm sure if I could choke it down I'd be running to the bathroom pronto.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I love to cook with it. Pork and eggs, especially, I find are complemented by the hint of coconut flavor. I always lick the spoon cause I love the taste of coconut. But treating it like a food doesn't feel right to me. I will eat coconut flesh before I'll eat the extracted oil.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Same as Paleobird for me. It is a great energizer for me, keeps me going while I am preparing dinner sometimes. I actually like it, let it melt in my mouth.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I do it when I think I'm losing too much weight and need more fat in my day, I prefer coconut oil to butter because of how it's metabolized, I just pop a few tablespoon in the freezer and eat. It helps that I love coconut.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I eat it straight up every couple of days cos' I find it's like taking a supplement for my skin Makes it so much softer and less prone to dehydration.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've just started using coconut oil and I really like it. I used 1/2 tblsp in my coffee and really thought it was nice addition to my coffee 'repertoire'. I've also cooked with it and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't make everything taste like coconut.

Logically I should think eating it off a spoon is fine because I eat cheese which gets most of its calories from fat, but eating pure fat off a spoon is odd to me. Not wrong, just odd. I do lick the spoon when I cook with it.

That said, if I ever need to gain weight, I can see how adding a couple of spoonfuls would help.

It's very rich. Over the last week, I've increased my use. Yesterday, between coffee and cooking, I ate about three and a half tablespoons - no runs. But I think if I would have eaten that much the first day, I would have had to invest in some toilet paper company.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I eat it straight up every couple of days cos' I find it's like taking a supplement for my skin Makes it so much softer and less prone to dehydration.
    Yep. It's like a moisturizer from the inside out

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    I eat it straight on occasion and it suppresses hunger quite well. I have never used it for the quick energy benefits (putting to a workout test), but some say 1-2 tbsp helps.
    I usually have a spoonful in the morning and lunch if I'm fasting for the day. Also tend to have a spoonful shortly before going for a good run -- it seems to help.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    For me, the best way to eat coconut oil is in solid form. I refrigerate one bottle and the other, the one I use to cook with, I leave out at room temp and usually it is liquid or semi liquid state.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes when I am a little hungry but don't need a meal, I will take a spoonful or put some in a cup of coffee. fills me up for a few more hours.
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast