Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate dry skin on face page

jtuwiner is offline Junior Member

Eliminate dry skin on face

Primal Fuel
    I've had dry skin on my face for a while. I'm tired of constantly applying moisturizer every morning.

Who here has any tips on how to get rid of dry, flaky skin on my face for good?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I had this problem until I stopped using conventional soap on my face. Try using baking soda as a scrub instead. If you're really grimy/dirty/sweaty, Trader Joe's has a tea tree soap bar with minimal ingredients that works well, or else I'm sure you can find something like it at any natural foods store.

Also, what kind of moisturizer are you using?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If my skin feels dry I eat a few teaspoons of coconut oil per day. Internal moisturiser!

Edit: I agree with the above comment about soap. But if you use it as part of your regime it should be easy enough to filter out. Since I started eating more fat I never have to wash my face anymore.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    My dry flaky skin on face, feet, and elbows all cleared up when I stopped using conventional soaps. I use baking soda and coconut oil to wash my face and my body now. Coconut oil is godly. :P I also used to have a lot of problems with oily skin (my face was combination oily/dry) and that is all cleared up as well.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    My skin is super dry during the winter; it has improved a lot with primal for the last month, though. I use Oil Cleansing Method with avocado oil at the moment and that is great, no soap. I use Green Pastures Beauty Balm as well. I also take the Green Pastures Butter Oil/Cod Blend. I eat a moderate amount of healthy fats (salmon, olive, meat in general, grass fed butter). I try to keep the heat off as much as possible also and try to moderate the alcohol consumption. My facial skin looks a lot younger in just one month. Hope for more improvements as time goes on.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I live in a pretty cold winter climate and have had similar problems. Most of it went away when I stopped using soap for my face, but I still have to use it on my hands and I don't always wear gloves. My skin doesn't really get dry anymore, not since I started eating primal, but it will still start to bleed at the knuckles... it heals very quickly but can be a hassle.

I actually use rendered animal fat on my hands. Tallow is supposed to be superior to lard, but lard is all I've tried so far and it's been a success. Some people say to add some oil (generally olive oil) to the newly rendered fat to make it easier to apply, and supposedly this make it seem like any other skin care product, lol... but I've just used it as it is. My skin refuse to absorb most 'natural' remedies like olive oil for example, but the fat will hardly leave a grease. Sometimes when the weather is seriously biting I'll put some on my face as an insulating layer to keep the wind bite out

You could use coconut fats too, but for me it doesn't work quite as well. Just watch out as some sources say that animal fat on your skin will make acne worse... I haven't experienced that, but, hey, there is animal fat in quite a few skin care products and soaps anyway, so it can't be THAT bad for you...

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    So... can ya'll elaborate on this... oil cleansing? Seems backward.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    So... can ya'll elaborate on this... oil cleansing? Seems backward.
    Oil cleansing is basically using oil to glom onto the oil and dirt in your pores so you can wipe it away. I do it once or twice weekly. I use jojoba and a bit of castor oil, which is very cleansing.....drying even. There are lots of youtube videos showing the exact procedure, which is - - to rub oil into the skin on your face for a few minutes, remove with warm wet washcloth, repeat. So...the warm oil you're rubbing onto your face sort of melts the oil in your pores and emulsifies it, making it easy to wipe it away. It makes my pores look invisible.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Alrighty. So. I get it. It's cool! I didn't have castor oil, so yesterday I just used EVOO. I have very dry skin. It felt amazing. Especially the hot cloth on my face part. Then.... because I had done my own research on this, one site said to use Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner after washing with the oil. Bad idea for me. It stung the bejeezus out of my skin! Ouch. Then my face smelled like ACV. Gross. Another site suggested using organic goats milk for a toner. How convenient. I'm milking a goat right now. It said to soak a cotton ball in the milk, rub it all over your face then let it dry. It said you could then clean it off with more oil, or just wipe away with a warm cloth. I think I'll try this instead. Seems like it WON'T murder my face skin.

So, this is great and all, but what about our bodies? I don't see my covering my entire body in warm wash clothes. What do you do? Hair? Wasn't there a thread about this?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just be careful with OCM. If you have dry skin it may actually damage your skin. I learned this the hard way
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast