Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent reflux...ditching coffee and maybe redwine? page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Silent reflux...ditching coffee and maybe redwine?

Primal Fuel
    Today is my second no coffee day. I seem to be doing fine with green tea, no headaches. I think the coffee is aggravating my silent reflux which was becoming not-so-silent. I'm also going to try to cut way down on my redwine consumption and see if that helps. I was hoping to get more results from ditching the wheat and most all of the corn. Anyone with silent reflux have any feedback on this or any tips? I am doing some HCL capsules also and or apple cider vinegar and water. Thanks!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I gave up coffee about a decade ago. But in 2009, I switched (on my own) to a 6 hour eating window (12 noon-6 pm) to conquer night time reflux. At the same time I stopped drinking wine, which caused inflammation and joint pain. I never connected wine with reflux. But I haven't had a problem since, even during times when I was eating in the evening. Nor have I drunk wine except on rare occasions.

It just seemed like food I was eating in the evening digested so slowly that I had some scary heartburn.

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    I have a hiatus hernia so get regular acid reflux, well at least I did until I went primal. I haven't had any reflux since I gave up grains. I regularly have red wine and I drink decaff coffee but I have had regular coffee and tea recently without getting reflux. My biggest test will be tomorrow when I go home and I think I will try a malt whisky. It was the worst thing before so it will be interesting to see if I have an acid reflux attack afterwards. I hope not, a Scotsman who cant drink malt whisky is not a happy Scotsman!

Chris Kresser says red wine can even help with reflux (probably not the volume I have drank at times, though!). I can immediately tell I have issues with the coffee so maybe it will help. I was really hoping the grains would help with the persistent "lump" in my throat. I think I'm getting damage to my esophagus now . This was originally diagnosed as allergies (back when I put any faith in the medical establishment). Okay, so maybe the allergist had a point but he said nothing about wheat or corn being a problem. Anyway, one of my great joys is pouring a glass of red wine, turning on Pandora, and cooking a great meal. I don't want to give that up if I can avoid it.

Calidris, I agree about the malt whisky. My husband and I drank a lot of whisky with a Scotsman a few years ago while vacationing in Edinburgh. My husband didn't want to be an "ugly American" so he couldn't bring himself to refuse. The guy had uncorked the whisky, threw the cork over his shoulder and exclaimed, "We don't go to bed until it's gone!" My husband drank most of it unfortunately and talk about reflux! He threw up all night and I'm sure kept all the other people in our bed and breakfast awake. I don't think he enjoyed hiking up Arthur's Seat the next day!
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 03-12-2013 at 11:11 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It's probably the acidity of the wine that helps. I read about that from Kresser too, but I took it as an oddity and not a "do this for your heartburn!"

Do the HCL and ACV help? Are you using them consistently? Do you eat dairy (and have you tried not eating it)?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried probiotics and/or fermented foods? Reflux can be caused by an imbalance in your gut flora--I had a resurgence of reflux after a round of antibiotics, but it's calming down now that I've been doing more fermented foods/drinks and taking probiotics. You mentioned Chris Kresser, so I'm assuming you've read his series on GERD. Those articles changed my life and I'm so glad I read them.

Speaking of damage to your esophagus, have you ever had an EGD? (endoscopy) I had GERD for many years and found out that I have Barrett's esophagus and have to get one every few years to check and make sure it's not worsening, as it's considered a pre-cancerous condition. Feeling like you have a lump in your throat along with the reflux might be a good reason to have that checked out.

Paleobird Guest
    I like the taste of coffee but I'm very sensitive to caffeine so I gave it up, even the decaf. Lately I've been drinking Teeccino which I highly recommend. It is roasted roots and grains with some carob and they now make a totally grain free mix with dandelion root instead of the barley.

Can't help you with the reflux issue, never had that, but this is a good substitute morning drink.

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoGirl View Post
    Calidris, I agree about the malt whisky. My husband and I drank a lot of whisky with a Scotsman a few years ago while vacationing in Edinburgh. My husband didn't want to be an "ugly American" so he couldn't bring himself to refuse. The guy had uncorked the whisky, threw the cork over his shoulder and exclaimed, "We don't go to bed until it's gone!" My husband drank most of it unfortunately and talk about reflux! He threw up all night and I'm sure kept all the other people in our bed and breakfast awake. I don't think he enjoyed hiking up Arthur's Seat the next day!
    TornadoGirl - Tell your hubbie I have been in the same position in Russia when they uncorked the vodka! Blimey! It was probably a night to remember but I've forgotten it, alcohol has a habit of doing that to your memory! :-)

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Drinking a full glass of water with a tablespoon of ACV helped my husband immediately the last time he got reflux. It's counterintuitive, but supposedly reflux happens when there isn't enough stomach acid to trigger the esophageal sphincter to close all the way. The glass of water with ACV fills up the stomach so that the flap gets the message to close all the way.

I read about it here:

Oh, Her Heart Burns! What Can Heal It? | Crunchy Betty

Meeshar, I have a carafe of kefir fermenting on my cabinet. Chris Kresser highly recommends it and calls it "almost paleo". I'm hoping some of that daily will help. I have been eating some Bubbies sauerkraut almost every day and some yogurt. The kefir is supposed to be way better than yogurt and I made it with raw, grassfed milk that I just sourced so I'm very excited to try it. One of the problems with the HCL and ACV is consistency although I've gotten better since I've had a lot of trouble since Christmas. I do fear I have some esophageal damage. I'm going to give the primal a good honest try with Chris's suggestions and if it doesn't heal soon, I'll probably break down and go to a doctor. I hate to go through $$$ of tests, only to be told to take medicine I probably don't want to take. I'm 99% sure I know what the problem is; I think consistency and good habits will fix it. I will try no dairy also if the kefir doesn't seem to work. I consume dairy in moderation: some butter, a little cheese grated on an omelet, and yogurt, almost never do I drink milk, although the raw milk is delightful and I could become a milk drinker again just because it tastes so good and clean.

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I really appreciate the support.

Calidris, I think it is only good to keep up international relations by drinking; when in Russia, when in Scotland, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Have you tried probiotics and/or fermented foods? Reflux can be caused by an imbalance in your gut flora--I had a resurgence of reflux after a round of antibiotics, but it's calming down now that I've been doing more fermented foods/drinks and taking probiotics. You mentioned Chris Kresser, so I'm assuming you've read his series on GERD. Those articles changed my life and I'm so glad I read them.

Speaking of damage to your esophagus, have you ever had an EGD? (endoscopy) I had GERD for many years and found out that I have Barrett's esophagus and have to get one every few years to check and make sure it's not worsening, as it's considered a pre-cancerous condition. Feeling like you have a lump in your throat along with the reflux might be a good reason to have that checked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast