Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lower back pain page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

lower back pain

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looking for suggestions on how to make my back feel better. For a couple weeks now I've been having a lot of lower back pain. I have been able to continue lifting (Wendler 531 on 2 day split) fine, just finished round 3. But this week my back is really bothering me. Sitting on a hard floor (library store hour with the kids) seems to make it really bad, but my couch doesn't help either. This reminds me of the pain I experienced when pregnant with both children. I have been unable to lay flat on the ground since mid-pregnancy with my first child in 2008.

What exercises can I do to help this get better? I have a strong back (squat 150, deadlift 160), so it seems like an alignment issue or something. Would switching to PBF for a while help some of my perhaps smaller muscles to reallign things? Other suggestions?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I suggest getting it checked out to rule out something physiological going on.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Low back pain is a symptom of literally over a hundred different things. There is no magical exercise program to start without knowing what the cause is. Could be as simple as you overdoing your training and needing some down time. If its been over a couple of weeks and its not getting better then having a chiropractic evaluation would be the best bet IMO.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-12-2013 at 12:34 PM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I never had back pain until I got an IUD (Paragard). Lower back pain is actually a listed side effect. Well, I wouldn't exactly call it back "pain," more like soreness/tightness. One thing I found recently that has really helped is this thing called foundational training. I've only been doing the 12-minute exercise in this youtube video. 12 min to Perfect Posture: Free Foundation Training videos with Dr. Eric Goodman - YouTube

I try to do it most days. It's not only helped with my lower back, but I think it's helped with my weightlifting form too (by increasing core strength in general, I think).

Edit: I think the guy, Eric Goodman, says that if you have really severe back pain, you should do modified versions of those exercises. Just do a google search. But, I'm thinking that if you can still lift weights, you can probably do the regular version.
    Last edited by diene; 03-12-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I never had back pain until I got an IUD (Paragard). Lower back pain is actually a listed side effect. Well, I wouldn't exactly call it back "pain," more like soreness/tightness. One thing I found recently that has really helped is this thing called foundational training. I've only been doing the 12-minute exercise in this youtube video. 12 min to Perfect Posture: Free Foundation Training videos with Dr. Eric Goodman - YouTube

I try to do it most days. It's not only helped with my lower back, but I think it's helped with my weightlifting form too (by increasing core strength in general, I think).

Edit: I think the guy, Eric Goodman, says that if you have really severe back pain, you should do modified versions of those exercises. Just do a google search. But, I'm thinking that if you can still lift weights, you can probably do the regular version.
    Love that routine. Thanks for linking it. Like you say in the edit, its probably a bit too strenuous as is while your in significant pain.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post

Tried it and didn't make it all the way through. Definitely hitting the sore muscles though, so will come back to it.

Ryan Jon is offline Junior Member
    I used to wreck my lower back skiing bumps in college. The only thig I ever found that helped was laying flat on my back, flexing my stomach in order to flatten the bottom 1/3 of my spine against the floor and hold it for a 20 count. I;d do that three time in a row each morning and always ended up feeling great.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Just learned about Foundation Training mentioned in this thread, tried the 12-minute workout, and think it's brilliant. Also, watch his video "Foundation Training Defined" in which he very clearly explains the how and why. And--if you're lifting and having pain, you'll really want to hear this. By the way, I've been following Esther Gokhale's 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back (sorry if this post is sounding like an advertisement...), and Foundation Training seems to support it really well.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I would see a chiropractor. Might be out of alignment.

lettereebenevende is offline Junior Member
    right!! consulting professional personally is better idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast