Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread for hard-gainers

Shop Now
    What worked well for me was the Leangains approach. Heavy compound lifts and eating tons of carbs post-workout. My fear of carbs held back weight gain for me. I tried in the past to create a surplus by downing cans of coconut milk, but I felt that I was adding more bodyfat than muscle. It's possible that my caloric surplus was just too high, but either way, the Leangains approach worked better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Fitz-Hume View Post
    I want to add about 10-15 lbs but don't want to sacrifice overall health. I could suck down milkshakes and Big Macs and put on weight but that's not my goal.
    i wasn't suggesting sacrificing health or eating garbage. just eating more real foods.

Approx how many carbs on workout days? Were you even tracking? I'd guess I'm around 150-200g

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i wasn't suggesting sacrificing health or eating garbage. just eating more real foods.
    I know. I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. It was just a general statement.

I know. I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. It was just a general statement.
    gotcha

and i know the carb quesiton wasn't directed at me, but on my heavy lifting days, i come in around 150-200 grams of carbs. sometimes up to 250grams. some eaten at breakfast, but the majority eaten with dinner. (i usually only eat 2 main meals) and then some raw honey in my tea before bed

You went from lifting weights 4 times a week to 3 times a week and lost strength? Something about this story doesn't add up. At the very least it suggests you aren't eating nearly enough. How old are you?

Yep. Was doing chest, legs, back 2 days per week, arms shoulders 1 day. Went to a 5x5 program doing full body MWF and lost strength. I'm 35.

Declines in strength are a hallmark of insufficient calories and/or protein and overtraining. Cut out the running completely save for sprints 1x/week. Its not doing anything for you besides burning up needed calories. Lift less often, don't rely on soreness as a gauge of overtraining, it's unreliable. Last thought, stress is a muscle/strength killer. Do what you can about that and get lots of sleep, especially before midnight.
    Last edited by GKL; 03-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Shop Now
    Yep. Was doing chest, legs, back 2 days per week, arms shoulders 1 day. Went to a 5x5 program doing full body MWF and lost strength. I'm 35.
    That actually surprises me. I feel my muscles are more fatigued when I have more volume and feel stronger when I do 3 workouts a week. I'd definitely cut out the excess cardio and stick to 1 sprint session a week. This will inhibit HGH so be careful of what you eat afterwards.