Thread: Ancient Atherosclerosis page

thehowlmoon is offline Junior Member

Ancient Atherosclerosis

Just came across this article... I find it very interesting that the Aleutian Islander also had developed atherosclerosis. It is my understanding that they had a very much primal lifestyle. Thoughts?

Mummies With Heart Disease Show That Clogged Arteries Aren't Just Modern Ailment

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I thought that as well. Everything else was in the 4k time span of grains.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    They don't give an estimate of the age of the mummy. Maybe it makes no difference. As I understand the history of Egypt, as the now-dessert that was once a sea in northern africa, began to dry in about 15,000 bc or earlier (date may be very wrong), some of the hunter-gatherers migrated into the rift valley which at that time was mostly water with few hillocks of islands. By 9000 bc they were growing rice, wheat, and other crops. When the north and south were united under the first pharoh, what - about 4000 bc, it was all agricultural (and fish).

Initially they buried the dead in pits. Mustabas came along about 4000 bc and mummyfing came after that. So any mummy must have come from an agricultural community.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is the actual study Very small sample - only 5 hunter/gatherers - but interesting.

Mummies may hold clues to atherosclerosis predisposition. Internal Medicine News. March 10, 2013.

University of Southern California (2013, March 10). Mummy CT scans show preindustrial hunter gatherers had clogged arteries. ScienceDaily. Retrieved March 14, 2013, from Mummy CT scans show preindustrial hunter gatherers had clogged arteries
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 03-15-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial