Thread: Recovery from pulled back muscle page

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member

Recovery from pulled back muscle

Shop Now
    I went to the doctor but they were next to no help on this:

I am currently in my 3rd week recovering from a pulled lower back muscle - Couldn't walk for 2-3 days after pulling it during exercise (burpees).

It is still a little painful (acute pain) but I am mindful that the longer I leave it the weaker the muscles in the back will become.

Any advice on recovering from this and exercises to get me back on track.

I was thinking of doing a few bodyweight exercises to start with a bit of stretching (e.g. squats, press ups, pull ups etc..)

May go for some long walks as well.

I also work in an office so that doesn't really help.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Well I didn't pull a muscle but I did put my back out last week. I could feel it happen, that little twinge that means you turned just a bit wrong. Wow, the pain is awful, I understand how you feel.

Last time this happened to me I went to the chiropractor and he did some stretching and I bought a heating pad.

This time I am doing the bending and stretching and using a heating pad. (I never ice)

If you can, lay on the floor, legs bent and bring one up over to the opposite shoulder very gently. Do a gentle pull. Do the same with the opposite leg. If you have used a heating pad first you will be more flexible.

Also, check out the chairs you sit in. I ended up buying a new desk chair for home last week because my other one had always caused a twinge but I had figured oh well and didn't want to spend the money. Well, when the back is already sensitive using a crappy chair is definitely not a good idea.

I also changed out my chair at work for one with more support for my lower back.

As with all advice, YMMV, but this is what has worked for me.

It's been a week since I put my back out and I feel ever so much better. Good luck.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you actually pulled a muscle, high rep squats (with minimal weight) and reverse hyperextensions will help keep blood flowing to the area and let the muscle heal with less scar tissue.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you actually pulled a muscle,
    this was my original thought...are you sure it's a pulled muscle. what i once thought was a pulled muscle in my back turned out to be a bulging disc. 5 of them actually. it was a chiropractor that actually figured it out, and he helped me reduce the inflammation and i started strengthening my back to keep the pain away: squats, deadlifts, bridges, pull ups.

try to find out for sure if it's a pulled muscle. if it is, take it easy so it can heal, and work with a chiro/physio/massage therapist to cut down on that scar tissue so it doesn't happen again.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I'd recommend a visit to a chiropractor followed by the body weight and walking you are talking about. A good adjustment can help with the acute pain and improve the joint and nerve function for the injured area (not to mention they will be able to rule out bulge discs and the like). With that pattern "reset" your move into exercises should be less painful and more productive. If it really is a pulled muscle then don't do weight bearing exercises until you can complete unassisted full range of motion in that activity without pain. For example don't do a weighted squat unless you can go through that complete movement unweighted without pain. Same goes for all the rest. Only do the bodyweight work within the ROM that don't aggravate pain.

Very general advice, but it should do the trick if this is a simple strain injury.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I assume it is a pulled muscle, purely because that is what the doctor said and it went during exercise. It was actually aching after a workout 2 days before but I just put that down to a good workout. After it pulled i couldnt stand for 2 days!

It definitely eases when I move around, stay active rather than sitting.

I will try doing some squats (without weight) and some basic compound movements and see how it responds.

I have had bad experiences with Chiropractors previously so I stay away.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I assume it is a pulled muscle, purely because that is what the doctor said and it went during exercise. It was actually aching after a workout 2 days before but I just put that down to a good workout. After it pulled i couldnt stand for 2 days!

It definitely eases when I move around, stay active rather than sitting.

I will try doing some squats (without weight) and some basic compound movements and see how it responds.

I have had bad experiences with Chiropractors previously so I stay away.
    Try an osteopath then. Really if you are in the UK the osteopaths practice much like American chiropractors do. Adjustments of joints and soft tissue is a science and an art. Some practitioners are just flat out better at it than others.

No pressure, just trying to give you another option

Your plan sounds fine. Hope the mobility type work does the trick for you.