Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dad Has Cancer page

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member

My Dad Has Cancer

Yesterday, my dad was diagnosed with lung, spine and liver cancer. I was expecting a cancer diagnosis, but I didn't think it would be this bad. He begins radiation and chemo on Monday. I know some of you have been caregivers. Any tips to make him more comfortable during treatment? Anything I should read? Whatever you can suggest is greatly appreciated.

Also, I continually thought of my primal community during the past 24 hours. The only cheat I had was a cough drop to freshen my mouth. The old me would have eaten those leftover Subway cookies, the Cracker Barrel biscuits, and other crap. The new and much improved me kept her insulated lunch box packed with primal fare. I also took tai chi breaks (my hamstrings are sore!), wore my V55s (and received much positive attention from many people), and, when I had some time alone, I sang loudly to The Gourds in my car. I love my new life. It serves me well, even during trying times.

Oh yeah, yesterday was a super long, stressful day. Full of walking and a lot of standing. Because I avoided grains, I had no back pain today* and was able to get up very early and be productive and positive all day. *This pain relief is a HUGE, HUGE breakthrough for me & it has only been possible to being Primal. Just a month ago I would have had a terrible flair up in my soft tissue injuries.

PrimalPeg is offline Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't have any tips or advise for you, just wanted to express my sympathies.

And, WAY TO GO, for sticking to PB. Try to look after YOURSELF as best you can during your challenges ahead.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry about your dad.

Get him some unrefined, all natural shea butter. You don't want it chealated, or altered in any way. It reduces the look of scaring, it speeds healing, moisturizes and it acts as a low SPF. This is for his radiation. Several of my clients have sworn by this. Also, find him some good, natural soap. You could actually make him some just get your hands on the shea, some coconut and some olive oil. Maybe some lavender as a relaxing and soothing scent. PM me and I can give you a recipe to make it at home. When you get the shea, melt it down and add a bit of olive oil, or ideally some tamanu or seabuck thorn oil (they are both super heavy duty healing oils), put them in a mixer and whip while they cool down to make a nice smooth paste. You only need to add about 10% of the liquid oil, just to soften the shea. Believe me when I tell you that you want a nice smooth soft mixture, the skin will get fragile and thin.

@PrimalPeg: Thank you. I'm making a deliberate effort to take care of myself, and to make sure all of our pets are getting attention during this time. My mother...that's another story...

@elorajade: Thank you for the suggestions. I'll get some shea butter tomorrow.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    *hug*

I don't have any advice for you, I'm sorry. I do have candles I can light and prayers I can say... if you don't mind, that is. <3

Great job staying Primal under stress. It's hard sometimes but you're doing a fantastic job. Congratulations.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    BG, sorry about the bad news. There are good reasons to believe that a ketogenic diet can help slow down tumor proliferation. We talked about this topic some time ago in this thread, maybe it´s worth giving it a shot. Hope this helps.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    *hugs*
    BG, just know we're here for you. The best way you can help your dad is to take care of yourself, and we can help with that if you need it.
    Sending prayers...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    *hughughutg* Poor chiquita. I have no recommendation, other than keep *soft* blankets around. Think fleece and microfiber. My grandmother has ovarian cancer and gets cold really easily. And I second their skin being very thin and sensitive.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My thoughts are with you.

My mother battled cancer for more than 10 years. Her initial diagnosis was while I was in high school, and it recurred just after I graduated from college, got married, and entered the career world. It was very difficult to balance all of the positive things going on with the negative, and will be trying for you and your family.

In terms of being a caregiver, its a tough ride. Emotionally and physically draining at times, but also rewarding. Often medications, treatment and illness can change a person's mood, attitude, and personality. One thing I experienced was the role reversal of going from child to parent when caring for my mother.

Another thing to be mindful of is that other family members may have differing views of what is going on. Try not to get frustrated with them, while they may be there more to help or less than you, or you feel like they may not be doing there fair share, they are also going through helping a sick parent/spouse/friend, and everyone deals with things differently. We are all just people, doing what we can.

The last thing you need to be sure to be mindful of is to make time for yourself. I turned to gym to blow off steam, and went out and bought a guitar and taught myself to play. It was nice to have things that were mine alone to focus on or blow off if necessary.

Remember to talk and share what you're going through with people close to you. Reach out. Ask for hugs when you need them. Cry when you have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast