Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: confused bout carbs page

danhaych is offline Member

confused bout carbs

Shop Now
    Am reading the book and am now confused after reading a few threads about bodybuilding on here, I thought the whole idea of PB is not to eat foods like rice etc and stick with meat, veg, fruit and fat. Can a skinny guy NOT bulk up with the PB diet??? How did the cavemen do it? They didn't have rice and wheat. I've tried the conventional bodybuilding diets eating heaps of wholegrains, some meat, heaps of veg, fruit and some fat, don't get bigger, just end up with uncomfortable digestion, bloating and abdominal fat...

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Cavemen, and Women had muscles with a functional purpose.
    Bodybuilding is about vanity, not functionality.

You need to move, lift, run, sprint, walk, squat, etc.
    The more energy you burn, the more carbs you can consume without ill effect

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'm of the opinion you should bulk up using meat and sweet potatoes, and butter!

Tried the modern carb-up advice and experienced what you experienced; no point, just waist fat. Bulking with foods rich in stuff we need like protein, fat, and vitamins seems like the best way to build muscle while not adding waist fat.

I don't understand why people would want to pile on a bunch of carbo-waist fat.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Are you confusing grains with carbs? While idea if PB is to avoid grains, not carbs.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I'm of the opinion you should bulk up using meat and sweet potatoes, and butter!

Tried the modern carb-up advice and experienced what you experienced; no point, just waist fat. Bulking with foods rich in stuff we need like protein, fat, and vitamins seems like the best way to build muscle while not adding waist fat.

I don't understand why people would want to pile on a bunch of carbo-waist fat.
    This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i honestly don't know where all of this carb-phobia and carb-idiocy is coming from. paleo/primal etc is in no way shape or form a low carb diet. carbs do not make you fat.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Darz is offline Senior Member
    The OP and kimchininja don't know how to bulk properly and have a poor understanding of nutrition.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
    What kind of carbs do you eat that amount to 400g?
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i honestly don't know where all of this carb-phobia and carb-idiocy is coming from. paleo/primal etc is in no way shape or form a low carb diet. carbs do not make you fat.
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Primal Blueprint book (I haven't read the book since 2009 when it came out) mentions what some people refer to as the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis that was popularized by Gary Taubes: Carbs drive insulin which drives fat. Hell, I bought into it myself for a while. If you go back and read some of Mark's older posts, they come down pretty hard on carbs in general. Of course, thinking has changed in paleo-land and most have come to realize that carbs, even starchy carbs, are not the devil and that they do not magically make you fat, not any more than drinking heavy cream does.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Word x3 to not on the rug, yodiewan and Darz

@Richard Seekins: fruit(particular fondness for dates) and fruit juices, milk, white sugar, mexican coke, some ice cream before sleep, etc;
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast