Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: confused bout carbs page 2

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would hazzard a guess that if our ancestors had the food availability we do, nearly all of them would've been ripped. Today we can micro manage our food intake to great degrees to get the most out of building muscle, hunter gatherers would've spent alot of time going hungry, which as we know doesn't lend very well to muscle atrophy.
    despite the food scarcity, I reckon most still would've had strong athletic bodies. So from that thought i have no doubt that today's primal diet can build muscle (it's working for me ).

Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    The OP and kimchininja don't know how to bulk properly and have a poor understanding of nutrition.
    Wow great contribution to the thread, Mind engaging in adult discussion "WHAT" your thinking on the subject is.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Padz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhaych View Post
    Am reading the book and am now confused after reading a few threads about bodybuilding on here, I thought the whole idea of PB is not to eat foods like rice etc and stick with meat, veg, fruit and fat. Can a skinny guy NOT bulk up with the PB diet??? How did the cavemen do it? They didn't have rice and wheat. I've tried the conventional bodybuilding diets eating heaps of wholegrains, some meat, heaps of veg, fruit and some fat, don't get bigger, just end up with uncomfortable digestion, bloating and abdominal fat...
    I tend to go through 6 month bulking/toning phases and I've found that eating primal works fine for both but needs to be adapted for each. Primal is generally fine for toning and maintaining muscle mass with moderate amount of training (careful not to overtrain). But for bulking you need to really increase your food intake and carbs, still going for primal type food though such as potato and beans those sorts of things, just lots more. I have to eat every 3 hours throughout the day to put on muscle mass while training heavy weights 3 times a weeks.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Wow great contribution to the thread, Mind engaging in adult discussion "WHAT" your thinking on the subject is.
    I like stating the obvious; now having said that, as others have said carbs aren't fattening, a calorie surplus is, so the terms they used are wrong; second, they say they've tried to gain muscle by eating a high carb diet but all they got was fat, well, then they obviously don't know how to bulk properly; a small calorie surplus, adequate protein intake, to lift heavy on a proper program with progressive overload; a diet that meets their macros and micros and plenty of rest is what you need to build muscle. So one doesn't have to be a carbophobic, which apparently everyone ends up becoming when learning about the PB.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Word x3 to not on the rug, yodiewan and Darz

@Richard Seekins: fruit(particular fondness for dates) and fruit juices, milk, white sugar, mexican coke, some ice cream before sleep, etc;
    That's not exactly palio is it? Each to their own, but I'm wondering why you feel the need to frequent this site?
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    That's not exactly palio is it? Each to their own, but I'm wondering why you feel the need to frequent this site?
    not to put words in derpamix's mouth, but fruit is paleo. fruit juices are squeezed fruit. milk is ok if you can tolerate it. white sugar and mexican coke (with real sugar) aren't nearly as horrible as everyone wants to think they are. and ice cream can be as paleo or unpaleo as you want it to be. or of you are a sisson lover, you could just chalk it up to the 20% and move on.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    danhaych,
    I've seen posts in the success stories section of men who bluked up with Primal so it is possible. I can't speak to how, though, because I'm trying to lose weight. Sorry.
    It sounds like grains may disagree with you, so you may find you feel better not eating them. Outside of that do some experimenting. Get your carbs from fruit and root vegetables like yams, turnips, potatoes, etc. and see how that works for you.
    Obviously, working out is essential if you're trying to gain weight and want it to be muscle not fat, but I'm sure you know that already.

I know that isn't much by way of advice, but maybe someone who has done what you wish to will come along and have something more for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-12-2013 at 08:20 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The carbophiles are here to man the barricades against imagined carbophobes. A few busy carbophiles can crank out hundreds of posts a day, making it seem like they are much more common than they are.

Most people here take a sensible moderate approach to carbs involving seeing what works for them. I recommend that to people who are not primal and not ready to consider radical dietary changes, telling them that a 1:1:1 approach is moderate, and don't they want moderate? It does tend to make sense in a way that most people understand on a basic level.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    not to put words in derpamix's mouth, but fruit is paleo. fruit juices are squeezed fruit. milk is ok if you can tolerate it. white sugar and mexican coke (with real sugar) aren't nearly as horrible as everyone wants to think they are. and ice cream can be as paleo or unpaleo as you want it to be. or of you are a sisson lover, you could just chalk it up to the 20% and move on.
    Ok I guess its cool to just do what works for you. It does seem a bit troll like to be honest.

I'm just getting a very negative vibe here recently.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Ok I guess its cool to just do what works for you. It does seem a bit troll like to be honest.

I'm just getting a very negative vibe here recently.
    yeah, i mean, its more carbs than i eat, but if it works for derpamix, then it works. i tend to alternate days of around 100 grams with days of about 200-250. the high carb days being the days that i do my heavier lifting.

out of curiosity, why does 400grams a day of carbs seem like a troll to you?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
    This is nonsensical. Could you eat 400g of any macronutrient and not gain weight? The answer is probably yes. That doesn't say that carbs don't make people fat, it says that no macronutrient category makes YOU fat.

Applying your specific situation to 5 billion people is one of the most nonsensical fallacies of all time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast