Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why the carbohydrate curve does matter, for some people page

ktgrok is offline Member

why the carbohydrate curve does matter, for some people

Primal Fuel
    i see a lot of people saying that carbs don't matter. I get that calories matter, and that you need to eat a reasonable amount of food. However, I can say that only by getting rid of grains, sugars, and artificial sweeteners can I manage to eat a reasonable amount. For the very first time in my life I'm not snacky all the time. For the first time in my life I don't NEED to eat constantly or I will get low blood sugar. For the first time I have will power. It feels nothing short of miraculous. I am tracking my calories/nutrition using fitday,a nd when I got rid of all the junk my calories dropped without me trying. By a lot. The last step was dropping my diet soda habit, and splenda in my coffee. At that point my calories dropped by about 400 a day, without trying. My appetite just diminished. I'm a different person. I was soooo hungry when eating sweets, even when eating tons of protein and fat. So it isn't that the protein fixed things, it was getting rid of sugar, artificial sweeteners, and grains.

So yeah, the calories have to drop, but the only way for some of us to drop the calories is to drop the carbs. (I stay between 50 and 100 per day...maybe a bit higher once a week when I let myself eat a bit more fruit/etc). I eat lots of veggies, meat, eggs, and one serving of fruit a day. Some high fat dairy (cream in my coffee, and either cream or greek yogurt with berries once a day for dessert). Nuts are very rare..maybe a few times a week a half oz or oz.

And I'm losing weight, but really I think I'm happier about the decreased appetite than about the weight loss. I'm finally in control of my appetite.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yep this is true for me too
    Its the higher fats that keep you satisfied for longer.
    I too am very happy I am finally in control and just eating exactly how much I need, not stuffing myself to the brim.
    sugars make me crave more sugars so no sugar = just eating what I need.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    +1

You can lose weight eating plenty of carbs, but if cutting them helps you to cut calories through deminished appetite as well, then more power to ya. I'm pretty much th same way myself.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations. Sounds like you're doing the right things.

ktgrok is offline Member
    right, I COULD lose weight eating lot of carbs I guess, but I'd be miserable. BTDT. This is not hard. This is not a diet. This is just eating. I was vegetarian for a decade, before I had my first kid. So to me, the idea of "I don't eat that" works in my head. This is like being a reverse vegetarian, lol. Trying to eat small amounts of everything never worked..I felt deprived and on a diet. This, this is just eating differently. (and oddly, I eat way more veggies now than when I was a vegetarian. Or even than when I was a vegan. They taste better now.)

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Well said!

I have lost weight (or at least maintained weightloss) eating a much higher carb diet, but it was horrible. I have a vivid memory from college of being in a Pilates class, a few hours after having had a tropical fruit bagel for breakfast, where I had to suddenly sit down and scoot out on my butt because I felt so light headed I thought I was going to hit the ground faint. This was in year 5 of maintaining weight I'd orginally lost on South Beach.
    Well, 3 years later, I've regained most of the weight and am recovering from an eating disorder. I went low carb Primal to try to lose weight and regain my health, and am finding my urges to binge significantly reduced.

The whole eat 6 small meals a day never worked for me either. Outside of being a massive pain in the ass, it gets me more into the constant eating mindset which is not good for me.

So that's why I really don't give a crap about new finding saying the body can store fat without insulin (doesn't surprise me at all, biology is very flexible). What makes all the difference to me is that I don't feel weak and hypoglycemic, and there's even significant portions of the day I don't think about food.
    I don't know where the saying comes from, but remember the one about how the best diet for you is the one you can live with?
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-11-2013 at 10:50 PM.

We don't say it doesn't matter or that low carb can't be useful. We just say the actual carb curve is pseudoscience.

Imagine if the government released a "Dietary low fat curve" that said

20g of fat per day- effortless weight loss.
    40g of fat per day - weight maintenance
    60g of fat per day - SLOW INSIDIOUS WEIGHT GAIN

Would people defend it, or reject it as stupid conventional wisdom?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I too have found the carbohydrate curve immensely useful, especially in the beginning when weight loss was my goal.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The curve is a good jumping off point or guideline. I have a friend who has told me she can't get to ketosis unless she goes below 20 gms of carbs per day. She's a tiny person. As always, n=1.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The carb curve works for the majority of people perfectly well. On a forum the weirdos and outliers shout the loundest and skew the general perception of the system (that's why I'm here ). For most people un-weighed primal/paleo will help them lose fat, some people need to check carb levels and the carb curve is a good guide for this. If this isn't working then it's time to experiment with yourself; and that's a whole other story
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast