Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: why the carbohydrate curve does matter, for some people page 4

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    serenity, I also can feel hungry from too much fat. Now that could be because I'm still losing weight, and I eat fewer calories than some folks. Which means that a lot of any one macro makes it tough to eat other foods (especially fat at 9 cal per gram). When I tried to go from about 50-60% calories from fat (mostly 50%) up to 70%, I just got hungry the same way I would if I suddenly started living on pasta and cereal.

At one end of the spectrum is CW: 60% cal from carbs, low fat everything. At the other is HFLC: up to 70% cal from fat, as few carbs as possible. Another continuum is frequency. At one end is grazing, at the other is IF. It takes a bit of time to see which point on the spectrum ultimately works for you. It's not and either-or kind of thing. You don't have to be CW or HFLC - there are an almost infinite number of points on that curve, and one is right for you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, carbs DRIVE hunger. Watch out.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I love this post. It's so positive.

ktgrok is offline Member
    OP here

I think part of the problem is when you think it has to be extreme. If some fat is good, more is better. If less carbs is good, even less is better. And I don't think it works that way, and I don't think the plan is written that way. I did Atkins. I tried lowering carbs to less than 10 percent of calories, and fat over 70. I was hungry (partly from artificial sweeteners, sure, but it wasn't just that). I raised the carbs up to the 50-100 grams (total) level, and my calories magically dropped about 400kc a day. Because the extra fiber filled me up? Because I need nutrients in the veggies that I wasn't getting before? I don't know, but it worked. Appetite controlled, cravings better. Then I dropped the diet coke and the calories dropped another 400kc per day, give or take. Crazy.

So yeah, when I say limiting carb heavy food I don't mean eliminating carbs, or just eating meat. I mean a plate 2/3 filled with veggies and 1/3 a piece of meat with some fat on it. I stopped worrying if I was getting too many carrots (really a silly thought) and just avoid the grains, limit nuts and dairy, and go with it. I haven't started sweet potatoes yet, but am not worried...I'll limit them until I reach my goal.

So often people take it to extremes...it isn't natural to eat extremely low fat (just eating chicken breasts every day) but it isn't natural to ONLY eat fat either, for the most part. Think of eating the whole animal...some days will be dark meat, some will be white, some lean cuts, some fatty cuts. Eating just pats and pats of butter probably won't solve any issues and yes will up your calories.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Looks like a healthy balance to me. Your protein and fat is more than adequate for a small woman such as yourself. Still not a high carb diet, relatively speaking. I have 200-250g most days. Not sure what your activity is like, but I'm fairly active with exercise these days (2h/day).
    About the same. ~ 2 hrs dedicated movement (right now the WOD + walking, swimming or elliptical) plus standing in the office at my station and playing.

I have to emphasize that I am hungry on this. The nature of my hunger changes with macros: shaky-dizzy on high carb/low fat to lethargic on VLC. Right now it is in between. Hunger is always there. If I eat >1700 cals, hunger is low, but I gain, if I eat <1500, I lose a little, but end up very hungry in 3 to 4 days. If I try to 'stagger' calories and macros or IF for longer than 14-15 hours, I end up binging and can't stop eating.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
    i see a lot of people saying that carbs don't matter. I get that calories matter, and that you need to eat a reasonable amount of food. However, I can say that only by getting rid of grains, sugars, and artificial sweeteners can I manage to eat a reasonable amount. For the very first time in my life I'm not snacky all the time. For the first time in my life I don't NEED to eat constantly or I will get low blood sugar. For the first time I have will power. It feels nothing short of miraculous. I am tracking my calories/nutrition using fitday,a nd when I got rid of all the junk my calories dropped without me trying. By a lot.

And I'm losing weight, but really I think I'm happier about the decreased appetite than about the weight loss. I'm finally in control of my appetite.
    When I read this, it was as if I had written. It's what happened to me just over 3 years now. Well said!

Of course calories consumed and burnedmatter, there is no body fat fairie that makes it mysteriously appear or disappear. But eating good, primal food is the key to eating less (and, feeling better and more energetic so you can burn more!)

Congrats!

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
    i see a lot of people saying that carbs don't matter. I get that calories matter, and that you need to eat a reasonable amount of food. However, I can say that only by getting rid of grains, sugars, and artificial sweeteners can I manage to eat a reasonable amount. For the very first time in my life I'm not snacky all the time. For the first time in my life I don't NEED to eat constantly or I will get low blood sugar. For the first time I have will power. It feels nothing short of miraculous.
    Thank you! It really matters for me too, and I have never successfully lost weight any other way. Can I also add that when I say that I dropped carbs and immediately lost weight, despite my previous 1000- 1200 calorie diet not working, that I don't think its magic? I understand that there is a logical reason for what was happening, but since I'm not willing to go and get tested to figure it out or try it again to see if I can make it work with a higher tech food scale etc...I simply say like you did "it feels nothing short of miraculous". It is just a figure of speech.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    We don't say it doesn't matter or that low carb can't be useful. We just say the actual carb curve is pseudoscience.

Imagine if the government released a "Dietary low fat curve" that said

20g of fat per day- effortless weight loss.
    40g of fat per day - weight maintenance
    60g of fat per day - SLOW INSIDIOUS WEIGHT GAIN

Would people defend it, or reject it as stupid conventional wisdom?
    At first, I thought this was just a clever way to explain the silliness of the carb curve. But then I realized that this 'fat curve' instead of being a joke is actually true for me, while for me the carb curve I found to be a bunch of BS. The only way I've ever been able to lose fat is by reducing my intake of dietary fat. For me, 60+ grams of fat/day WAS insidious weight gain.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    The carb curve works like a charm for me. And thats all I got to say about that.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    About the same. ~ 2 hrs dedicated movement (right now the WOD + walking, swimming or elliptical) plus standing in the office at my station and playing.

I have to emphasize that I am hungry on this. The nature of my hunger changes with macros: shaky-dizzy on high carb/low fat to lethargic on VLC. Right now it is in between. Hunger is always there. If I eat >1700 cals, hunger is low, but I gain, if I eat <1500, I lose a little, but end up very hungry in 3 to 4 days. If I try to 'stagger' calories and macros or IF for longer than 14-15 hours, I end up binging and can't stop eating.
    Oh, that's too bad about IF. I have been doing 18-20-hour IFs with some "off" days thrown in. This helps me to create a deficit effortlessly but keep my calories high (~2500) in my window so I eat to satiety and pack a lot of nutrients in. IF is definitely not for everyone, though! It can be stressful and challenging to do often. Definitely not worth it when it has negative side effects.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234