Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb/Protein/Fat Ration "How to Lose Weight" post page

JohnOTD is offline Member

Carb/Protein/Fat Ration "How to Lose Weight" post

I initially posted this over at PaNu, but his forum seems to move slowly, so I'll just repost here and hope for the best.

I just read the post entitled "How to Lose Weight". Dr. Harris recommends an intake of 5% carbs, 10-15% proteins and 80-85% fats.
    What would this look like in a given day, in terms of foods consumed?
    My average day is 3-5 strips of bacon and 3 eggs over-easy in the bacon grease. That will generally hold me over until the evening at which point I'll either some kind of roast with veggies made in a slow-cooker (1 roast lasts about 4 days for me) or just throw something together with a lot of meat (ground beef, steak, chicken, etc.) and a little bit of veggies.
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    To get that high or fat% you have to add yolks and extra butter/bacon fat to your eggs. You have to eat your meat swimming in fat, drink coconut milk, eat very low carb veggies drowned in oil, etc. It's harder than it sounds.

So basically do my standard 3 eggs with a few extra yolks?

And when you say meat swimming in fat, how do I accomplish that? Cook it in coconut oil and then pour the oil on top?

I already drink coconut milk a few times a week in a smoothie, and I'm considering cutting veggies back to nothing more than a garnish for meat, instead of a 'dish' of the meal.

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    How's your overall nutrition? How's your omega 3:6 ratio? They both matter big-time. Just as much as fats vs carbs and it would be an injustice to yourself not to review them both in addition to what you're doing.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

vefi is offline Junior Member
    I don't think you will get a general solution for fatloss.

While I (47 years old male) have lost almost 10 kilos (ca. 20 pounds, fat not muscles) since January with high fat and intermittent fasting, my son (25 years old) is doing even better on high protein and 3-6 meals a day.

We don't share the same lifestyle, as while I work out 3-5 times a week, 30 min. each time (swimming, interval sprint and lifting weights), my son is much more into heavy lifting and endurance running almost every day.

I can't tell if this is because of our different food intake, our age or workout. I really do think that is simply that: All size does NOT fit all!

Note: Both of us are VeryLowCarb...

@ Stabby

I really don't know how to answer your first question. I would say 'it's good'. I avoid processed foods, grains and sugars. I have the occasional piece of fruit (usually kiwi) but it's getting to where I find it to be too sweet (and yes I know avocado is a fruit, but I eat it like a veggie). My meat is not grass-fed because it's difficult to find here. I don't really know how to monitor my 3:6 ratio, but I've been considering supplementing with fish oil just to be safe. Fish is abundant here, but I can't seem to cook it right and I'm concerned about heavy metal content if I consume too much.

Okay then definitetly get on the fish oil ASAP. Also see if you can get either pastured free-range eggs or flax-fed eggs. They'll have better nutrition too. I direct you to www.fitday.com to keep track of your nutrients. I'm still not sure whether or not it distungishes between omega 3 and 6, www.nutritionfacts.com does but their tracking system isn't as good in my opinion. Just study the food that you eat and learn as much as you can about which foods supply which nutrients. Supplements are recommended for anything that you aren't getting enough of through food. A good omega 3:6 ratio and getting optimal nutrition are just extra tools in your arsenal for great health and weight loss. Some will argue with me on this but I think they're both equally important to lowering carb intake.

Also heavy metal toxicity has a lot to do with bioaccumulation so generally the smaller fish will be better. Wild sardines and salmon are great and I wouldn't avoid them completely unless you dislike fish. In either case fish oil is a powerful weapon. My eggs and meat have some omega 3 in them and yet I still find it beneficial to use fish oil, even on days I eat fish.

@ Stabby

I read somewhere that if you eat quality grass fed pemmican with a ratio of 1:1 fat:lean and nothing else (but water) you would have a nutritionally complete diet with no deficiencies. Do you know the validity of this mayhaps?

I have heard it too. Honestly I don't know but if it is true I want some pemmican. I want to try some anyway!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In that case, when my tax return comes in, I'm buying a bunch of grass fed lean and suet online and making a batch. I'll send ya some. (I'll buy this stuff AFTER I get more VFF's of course...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast