Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organ meats for dummies page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Organ meats for dummies

Primal Fuel
    I am looking for a reference, online or print, that gives the lowdown on organs from different sources. I'm interested in different animals, different organs, clever uses, recipes that will turn you on to organs that used to creep you out, that sort of thing. I'd prefer something with a scholarly sort of bent. Is there such a reference, or a couple? I am about to branch out and DH is surprisingly enthusiastic. I have Paleobird's pâté advice, which I think will be a huge help as we are not really liver fans.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I like the Nasty Bits column on Serious Eats:
    Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits

Also, Chris Cosentino is an advocate of offal who seems pretty knowledgeable:
    Offal Good™

I really like his recipe for beef heart tartare:
    Chris Cosentino's Beef Heart Tartare - Puttanesca Style Recipe | The Daily Meal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A couple of other places to start also:

Organ Meats | Mark's Daily Apple

Offal recipes, liver, kidney, and more (this isn't a primal/paleo site, so you might have to make some substitutions in the recipes)

BBC - Food - Offal recipes (also not paleo)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    What about offal for beginners? I have read that cow liver is quite strong, any suggestions for mild organ meats for n00bs?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Chicken liver is pretty mild. Saute it in butter, sweet vermouth (optional of course), and with onions, and it's lovely. Can be served by itself hot or over white rice. Chill it and run it through a food processor, and you can dip veggies in it (or eat it off a spoon). Whole Foods carries organic chicken livers.

Beef tongue is really delicious, but depending on how you purchase it, it might freak you out if you buy a whole tongue - the prep is more extensive.

A neighbor told me he finds pork liver even milder than chicken liver. It's an ingredient in something called boudin which can be made into sausages, or meat balls. Tons of recipes online. Basically, boudin is ground pork, ground pork liver, cooked white rice, and spices. I've used chicken liver instead of the pork and it comes out great. In fact, many people here have reported that mixing liver in with ground beef is a good way to "hide" it if plain liver is distasteful to you.

I'm going to be trying beef heart and bison liver soon. I'll post on the results.

ETA: I've eaten chicken hearts, and they're ok, but I like them better if they're not the main dish. Chopped up into something. Fried chicken gizzards are awesome, but not very primal since they're battered.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 03-12-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    As a offals lover (3 times out of 4 it is organ meat for me), I can assure you that as soon as you get past the psychological block, even things like brain, lung and tripes become a perfectly normal ingredient in your recipies.

I opened a group "Offal Lovers" on MDA forum, I'll soon start posting some of the dishes I usually do. I hope others do as well

Padz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    What about offal for beginners? I have read that cow liver is quite strong, any suggestions for mild organ meats for n00bs?
    For a beginner nice calves liver as a steak replacement is nice. But some people don't like the taste.

I love devilled lambs hearts or kidneys. I could eat them everyday and they're cheap and so easy to cook. Recipe I use(all measures are to taste):

For Lambs hearts:
    Boil the hearts for one hour whole with a chopped onion, chopped carrot, bay leaves and herbs of your choice. Leave to cool a minute then chop each heart in to quarters and then remove any tube looking bits or fatty bits you don't want , chop in to small bites size chunks.

For lambs kidneys:
    Chops the kidneys lengthways and remove the sinuous white bits, chop in to small bites size chunks.

In a little oil of your choice fry your heart/kidney until browned off and no pink remains.

Add a good splash of sherry or port and allow to bubble away for 2 mins

Add spoon of red currant jelly and a good splash of balsamic vinegar stir until jelly has melted in

Add a spoon of Mustard, cayenne pepper to taste and a dash of Worcester Sauce.

Finish with a good dash of double cream stirred in and a little parsley garnish.

Serve on mashed potato, whole grain toast or whatever you like to mop up the sauce.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for the great links. I am looking through them now.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleobird Guest
    This is a great book:

Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal: Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: 9781580083348: Amazon.com: Books

This is also a good way to "sneak in" some offal:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=879
    It is human quality but called Petburger because of the high fat content. Delicious.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lamb liver is very mild when compared to beef.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast