Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New global anti-cat hysteria page 3

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I'm sure if I came on here and made the statement that "wow American's are dumb as shit" I'd be slammed in a major way, its just plain rude.
    Not from me. I work with the public in the states, and there are a whole lot of Americans that really are dumb as shit.

Okay, and some that aren't...
    Last edited by RitaRose; 03-12-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    Because The Oatmeal is hilarious...here ya go. This site will answer all of your questions.

How much do cats actually kill? [Infographic] - The Oatmeal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    My cats are a serious threat to mice, chipmunks, flies, and any other pests unfortunate to come around the house. Just the way I like it.

When I was a kid, our dog did the same, eliminating raccoons, possums, stray cats, woodchucks, snakes, and (unfortunately for our olfactory senses) the occasional skunk. That's sorta what having a cat or dog is for in country parts. Ridding your home of unwanted pests.
    Last edited by Diana Renata; 03-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    DH told me about a month ago about a law in Arizona limiting cats to 4/per household, but I can't find anything online about it. We would be screwed since we have 5 ATM. We only have one that goes outside and she is especially fond of squirrels and rabbits, heads only, we just get the decapitated bodies. I'm pretty sure rabbits and squirrels are practically pests in our ecosystem though. I will trust New Zealanders to assess the ecological impact of cat predation where they are. I have no clue what their issues are.
    I've never heard of any law limiting us to just 4 cats - sounds like something someone made up to add to the growing list of embarrassments this state makes...
    I have 6 cats, all are indoor cats for THEIR safety. We have coyotes, bobcats, hawks and owls regularly passing by. I lost one cat (he slipped out unnoticed) to a coyote 11 years ago and the memory is still painful. We also have a resident pair of roadrunners who have nested in the same saguaro next to our house for the last 4-5 years. They may be fast, but they don't fly and cats are a threat to them. I'll take the joy of watching this roadrunner pair and their young every spring over letting my cats go outside...

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Ok now I am going to let it ride and bet internet repuation that Verichip is behind it, and in the near-future we will have widespread state-level or federal mandatory pet chipping.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    if they were gonna make chipping mandatory they'd've done it several years back when chipping became 'popular'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

They always need time to streamline the process and shit, work out who gets what pork from the mandates and state-licensed-approved vendors, reconfigure enforcement agencies, whatever. Maybe they didn't have the production capacity also.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Also the great-many, passive humanoid flesh-lumps a few years ago had not been hypnotically optimized by uoloaded electronic shared hysteria immersion to remain receptive to this specific outrage.

emmytee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
    Clearly the OP has little knowledge of the world outside Noo Joyzie but for his edification:

New Zealand, being an isolated group of islands, has no native mammals so introduced species such as rats, possums and particularly cats wreak havoc on the native animals that do exist. Many birds are ground living - as they had no native predators - so cats are pretty catastrophic (yeah) especially when they go feral.

So Kiwis are not dumb - the kiwi is actually a large flightless bird and would no doubt be a good feed for Fluffles if you let him out. Australia where I live also has a feral cat population and kitty hunting in national parks is a popular sport. Boom, oh watch it's head explode. In the USA of course you have real kick ass native predators that love cat if they can get hold of one, so the problem doesn't really exist.
    Hi, cat-loving ecologist here. I can confirm that OP has no clue what he's talking about. Mike has the right idea. I had the pleasure of meeting with one of the top researchers on cats as an introduced species. I was quite skeptical at first but the threat is real. Cats and rats are most disruptive to islands where there are no endemic creatures that fit the ecological role that the cats assume. Stigma against the control of cats is still a huge problem, but remember these cats are feral, and are not people's pets. The control of the cat problem is supported by many cat lovers, I suggest you read some scientific articles on just how devastating the cat and rat problem is.
    Last edited by emmytee; 03-12-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: forgot an "and"

iYummy is offline Junior Member
    I think it's far more natural for a cat to hunt for its own food than have some mush spooned out of a can or some rock hard grain nuggets put in a bowl.
    Our cat recently passed due to losing a fight with a snake - and yes, I mean a fight. In the past 4 or 5 years she's killed at least 10 snakes that we know of. She also kept the wild rabbit, mice, rat and cockroaches to pretty much zero. She's been gone one month and already we've had rabbits in our yard, digging in the veggie patch. We had 2 cockroaches which we literally haven't seen in YEARS! I'm dreading the Winter when the rats and mice used to show up. She also ate canned food and biscuits (I'm new to paleo - forgive me!).

We're picking up our new kitten from the shelter on Friday, and I plan on feeding her a 100% paleo diet. She will be offered a variety of raw meats throughout the week, and I won't be putting a bell on her pretty pink glittery collar. She will be a very pampered kitty but she needs to be able to act like a cat and be able to hunt if she wants to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast