Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New global anti-cat hysteria page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Leave the kitties alone!!!!!

My cat is almost all indoor. I've seen him catch chipmunk few times, even once brought one inside the house. He never kills anything though.
    But if he decides to kill whatever animal or bird, then so be it.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I hate it when I have planted my seeds (in the past when I kept a vegetable garden) and some stupid cat comes along scratches the hell out of my garden bed and shits in it.

I like it that where we live now there are eagles and owls that help keep the cat population down, but I still see them, so I think there must not be enough eagles and owls.
    bamboo skewers are good cat butt deterrents

annoying to use but effective, i wouldn't want to squat on a stake pit either
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Clearly the OP has little knowledge of the world outside Noo Joyzie but for his edification:

New Zealand, being an isolated group of islands, has no native mammals so introduced species such as rats, possums and particularly cats wreak havoc on the native animals that do exist. Many birds are ground living - as they had no native predators - so cats are pretty catastrophic (yeah) especially when they go feral.

So Kiwis are not dumb - the kiwi is actually a large flightless bird and would no doubt be a good feed for Fluffles if you let him out. Australia where I live also has a feral cat population and kitty hunting in national parks is a popular sport. Boom, oh watch it's head explode. In the USA of course you have real kick ass native predators that love cat if they can get hold of one, so the problem doesn't really exist.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Fuck off Australia. You should worry more about the spiders there wiping you out than stray cats.
    nihil

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
    Clearly the OP has little knowledge of the world outside Noo Joyzie but for his edification:

New Zealand, being an isolated group of islands, has no native mammals so introduced species such as rats, possums and particularly cats wreak havoc on the native animals that do exist. Many birds are ground living - as they had no native predators - so cats are pretty catastrophic (yeah) especially when they go feral.

So Kiwis are not dumb - the kiwi is actually a large flightless bird and would no doubt be a good feed for Fluffles if you let him out. Australia where I live also has a feral cat population and kitty hunting in national parks is a popular sport. Boom, oh watch it's head explode. In the USA of course you have real kick ass native predators that love cat if they can get hold of one, so the problem doesn't really exist.
    Thankyou my dear! I'm sure if I came on here and made the statement that "wow American's are dumb as shit" I'd be slammed in a major way, its just plain rude. So instead I'm going to say "wow Mr.Perfidy is dumb as shit" because he clearly has no idea how bady decimated our native wildlife have been by the introduction of domestic cats to NZ.

I am a cat lover, and my cats roam free outside and yet I do agree in general with this 'movement'. If you read closely though, the real problem is feral/wild cats whose population is growing unchecked who are largely unfed so resort to catching native prey. Thankfully my two fluffles are not the problem we are talking about.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    DH told me about a month ago about a law in Arizona limiting cats to 4/per household, but I can't find anything online about it. We would be screwed since we have 5 ATM. We only have one that goes outside and she is especially fond of squirrels and rabbits, heads only, we just get the decapitated bodies. I'm pretty sure rabbits and squirrels are practically pests in our ecosystem though.

I will trust New Zealanders to assess the ecological impact of cat predation where they are. I have no clue what their issues are.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    the cats around here must just be terminally stupid, they never kill anything but the cleanliness of my car with their little furry feets

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
    Australia where I live also has a feral cat population and kitty hunting in national parks is a popular sport. Boom, oh watch it's head explode.
    you made me do this

beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Didn't Hawaii try to control a rat problem with introduction of the mongoose, only to be overrun with them? Get rid of the cats and we'll be ass deep in bird shit.

Lizzielou, don't pay that nonsense any mind. All/always/no/never statements are rarely true. There are even some really great people from Jersey, though you'd never know it from the OP.

ETA: started composing post before bloodorchid posted. Girlfriend, as long as you're passing out those monitors from people squirting coffee, etc. on to them while reading your posts, send one my way. LOL!
    Last edited by JoanieL; 03-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

Fuck off Australia. You should worry more about the spiders there wiping you out than stray cats.
    Spiders are fine, it's the drop-bears we have to watch out for. If you ever visit, don't walk under trees.

PS I love cats myself, they taste like rabbit.
    Last edited by MikeAtTaree; 03-11-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: additional info

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    What do you have against cats that you would impose a life sentence on them for no reason?
    We don't allow our dogs to run free preying on the local wildlife and we shouldn't allow our cats to either. Never mind the dangers to the cats themselves. Keeping cats indoors is only "a life sentence" if you're an irresponsible or inattentive owner. Provide an enriching stimulating indoor environment for them. Give them a screened in porch, cat habitat, or somewhere safe where they are still outside but secured. Or you could teach them to walk on a leash. Both my cats are leash trained. One of them will walk anywhere with me just like my dogs do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast