Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Plateau Discussion page 7

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    One technique that I've found helps people with aversions to green veggies like the ones you've mentioned is to drizzle them with a bit of a friendly oil, and then lightly toss w/ s&p or other seasoning, then roast them at 350F in the oven for 20-30 minutes. They almost completely taste different than their raw or near-raw versions, and you might eventually develop a taste for them unroasted (though I don't see a problem eating them that way exclusively).
    Yeah. Brussels sprouts, sliced in half, tossed with olive or coconut oil, sprinked with salt/pepper, baked at 400 for half an hour.

*slams fist on table*
    THAT is good eats right there, let me tell you what.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to second the questionable quality of this 'advice'.

The whole point of PB is NOT to diet. This is how you should be eating, period. If you're eating properly (quality and quantity) for your activity level, your weight will eventually normalize. Underlying conditions need to be considered, of course, but making sure the right food is being eaten is at least 90% of the solution.
    You should not let recently converted primal evangelists' lie to you accidentalpancake! Unfortunately it is possible to stall or even regain weight on a "clean" paleo/primal diet - and the context of my response to the OP was about stalling. Yes, most people that covert from SAD eating to paleo lose weight because of several reasons like there is usually less temptation around and when they have to focus on WHAT they are eating, it also help to control the usually un-reflected way of SAD eating, so most people lose weight when changing from SAD to primal/paleo. And then you inevitably stall because the body find the balance, where food input and energy output equalize each other. And there you pretty much will stay until you do something about it – and that’s what I responded to in my message anterior…

How's that for a first post?
    Compared to the nonsense of many other posters, not too bad, except that you were mistaken in your main points of course! But welcome to the boards anyway...

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    You should not let recently converted primal evangelists' lie to you accidentalpancake! Unfortunately it is possible to stall or even regain weight on a "clean" paleo/primal diet - and the context of my response to the OP was about stalling. Yes, most people that covert from SAD eating to paleo lose weight because of several reasons like there is usually less temptation around and when they have to focus on WHAT they are eating, it also help to control the usually un-reflected way of SAD eating, so most people lose weight when changing from SAD to primal/paleo. And then you inevitably stall because the body find the balance, where food input and energy output equalize each other. And there you pretty much will stay until you do something about it – and that’s what I responded to in my message anterior…
    If it were not for the specific situation of the OP, I might be inclined to agree with you... However, given that your original (and subsequent) response sounds much more like conventional wisdom for someone who is trying to lose those last 15-20 lbs, I have to maintain my disagreement.

Given someone who is still 50+lbs overweight, no sort of 'balance' can be reasonably expected if a truly clean diet is being followed. It's much more likely that there are very obvious and simple factors that should be addressed, such as the exclusion (or at least drastic reduction) of diet soda intake; though something as simple as a once-weekly reasonable loosening of adherence to cleaner diet and indulgence of pizza/beer and the like should be enough to keep one sated and one's body confident that food is available.

I'm not disagreeing that more exercise may benefit, or some sort of change in exercise duration/intensity, but in this case there shouldn't even be exercise needed to drop significant weight. A month-long plateau, taking into consideration all that the OP provided, is no mystery and certainly not to be expected.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Hey Millersoontobeelite,

I just want to tell you this so you have some reference to the "weight stall" issues you experience. I've never really bought into the "weight stall" thingy. Why is weight so fricking important to people? They weigh themselves constantly, over-analyze the results and agonize over the inconsistencies and fluctuations.

I weigh myself once a month for curiosity purposes only. Last month my pants started to fall off me and I went out and bought a few new ones of smaller size. A couple of weeks later, those new pants started to fall off and by the end of the month I had to go and get new ones yet again so they would stay on (a good thing in public, trust me). My waist size decreased by 5 inches in that month. When I weighed myself at the end of the month I had GAINED 3 pounds from the previous month.

How's that for a "plateau" for you?

Mirror, measuring tape and clothes are your best measures of progress. Don't ever forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post

I weigh myself once a month for curiosity purposes only. Last month my pants started to fall off me and I went out and bought a few new ones of smaller size. A couple of weeks later, those new pants started to fall off and by the end of the month I had to go and get new ones yet again so they would stay on (a good thing in public, trust me). My waist size decreased by 5 inches in that month. When I weighed myself at the end of the month I had GAINED 3 pounds from the previous month.

How's that for a "plateau" for you?
    Sounds like my kind of plateau. What the heck are you doing? I want to learn your ways!

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Sounds like my kind of plateau. What the heck are you doing? I want to learn your ways!
    I eat until I feel satisfied every meal, stay around 99% paleo (the remaining 1% serves as my occasional martini or glass of red wine), and lift heavy twice a week. Add tabatha sprints and planking once a week. I take the dog for a daily walk and I do some hiking about once a week. That's it.

Eliminating the micro-management of your weight loss progress probably alleviates a lot of stress which also helps contributing to the fat loss. And I, almost without exception, get 8 hrs of sleep every night.

Excellent. I agree about the micro-managing. I do want to (and am) losing inches and I'm having a blast doing it. I never knew that I would love lifting heavy so much. I'm having wine tonight for the first time in a month and am really looking forward to it. And wine is primal so I don't even consider it going outside the imaginary lines Thanks for sharing.

Millersoontobelite is offline Senior Member
    i just read through this all again since i have really been struggling with weight loss. I am at 263.8 and have been for a couple weeks and was at 267 for three weeks before that. I have cut out most diet soda, i have about one a day which is way down from like 5-6 and am eliminating nuts starting today. I posted in my journal that i have grown a bit frustrated and that makes me angry with myself because i have come a long ways and know that what I have done and am doing is so much better for me etc but damn it is hard to still be 70 pounds over weight eating on plan and exercising and seeing lousy results.

That being said, i appreciate the advice here and i think i am going to try a few new things based on what i read.

Something i do want to mention though, a few people highlighted that i said i really dont enjoy what im eating. That is a half truth. I love a juicy steak. I enjoy my brinner (eggs with sausage and baconwith peppers and onions) once a week and make a number of dishes i like. My problem is that i have only a handful of them that i love, and the rest of the stuff i make (paleo meatloaf, pot roast etc) are really just to carry on. Many of you have given options for how to enjoy vegetables more. There is a misperception, i dont kind of dislike most green veggies, the literally make me gag. Two weeks ago i made brussel spouts roasted with some garlic in butter and i quite literally lost my dinner. That is how bad it is for me.

I hate posting on here sometimes with a complaint, because everyone assumes you are an idiot and are doing something wrong and in addition to that i dont like feeling like I am complaining, which i am. I love what this lifestyle has done for me to this point. I have slept better, had more energy, felt better about myself, look better and lost a substantial amount of weight. LIke many people in the middle of their journeys i am concerned about the sustainability of the diet long term for me, but i think only when you get to a maintanance point can you find what will work for you for the rest of your life and work on it from there.
    However, it has gotten a bit harder to stay on point knowing that the scale is being mean. . .
    SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 254

79 pounds down 54 pounds from primal

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    So have two meals every day:

Meal 1: steak
    Meal 2: sausage, eggs, and bacon with onions and peppers.

magno is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't post often, but my simple advice to you is adjust your goals. It looks like you've lost 45 pounds so far on primal 70 in total. That is a ton of weight and a big accomplishment. The process isn't linear. Control what is in your power to control. Stick with the program. Results will come. Patience, consistency will be reward with improved health. All of that and skip breakfast a few times per week.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast