Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Plateau Discussion page 6

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    While eating primally will almost certainly decrease hunger pangs, the amount of food you eat does matter. On this board, and from talking to people who have done Atkins, and my own experience, the first 40 lbs often come off in a nice consistent, rewarding manner when you ditch the bread, pizza, etc., but after that you do have to watch how much you're eating. Calories are one way to count.

4. Since we are incredibly adaptable machines, it might help to give your weight loss a jump start either by over eating for two or three days, or fasting for a day or two. I think that when we stick to a diet of basically the same foods every day, we reach a kind of homeostasis as our body gets used to the food and movement. This is fine if we are at the weight we want to be; not so great when we want to lose.
    I havent read this entire thread, but jumped here to the end. This all rang true for me. The first 40-50lbs were painless. The next 15 while painless, took some time. Only about 15lbs in the last year of being primal. And really no real forward progression since about last August ( Just enough downs to keep me happy, but then followed by an up. The up/down gave me the illusion of progress.

I was eating good and all, and trying to find a new formula, but just not having much luck.

So I havent jumped the primal ship, but trying the Fast Metabolism Diet. It is the same foods that I was eating, but more strategically. 2 days carbs & mod. protein (phase 1) 2 days proteins & veggies (phase 2) 3 days fat/protein/carbs (phase 3) Those carbs are different carbs than the first phase. None are things like breads and wheat pastas. She doesnt do wheat, but does other grains like quinoa, steel cut oats, and brown rice in phase 1. Grains in phase 3 are half of phase 1. She does sweet potatoes. Different fruits in phase 1 than in phase 3. She does beans & legumes for protein in phase 1 & 3, but I have just been having meat instead. So while she does have meal plans if you want, you don't have to. There are plenty of options that are primal.

Last week I lost 6.2lbs, well actually 5.9 (I gained a little after the 3 fat days) - I know water mostly from the weekend before (I took the opportunity to have a pancake each morning, since I was starting this on Monday for 28 days. So since this is only week 2, I can't say for sure that it is my answer, but for now it seems to be helping things get going again.

I know some here don't like the structure, but it is working well for me. And it is more meals & snacks than most here like to have, but that is working well for me also.

I just need to get the weight off. I don't think I have any other issues really, except maybe that my cholesterol (LDL) went high after primal, but according to the ratios & the Iranian equation, I am okay.

No moral of the story I guess. Except that I have experienced the same mentioned above, but now I think I am heading down again by eating the same foods but more strategically.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Sounds like a good approach! I love Quinoa--kind of crunchy even after being boiled. I eat it plain--just boil it, let it cool and eat.

Is there a good website? Hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Sounds like a good approach! I love Quinoa--kind of crunchy even after being boiled. I eat it plain--just boil it, let it cool and eat.

Is there a good website? Hope it works out!
    Thanks!

Haylie Pomroy - Nutritionist and Author of The Fast Metabolism Diet

I had some quinoa last week, after my pancake days - so 2 MORE carb days but strategic carbs, carbs around 350 (but net 160 - the quinoa really drops the net back down) and I still dropped weight. I lost 2.4lbs after those 2 days of high carbs. Then the very next day which was after my first protein day, (after day 3) I dropped another 2.6 Crazy. I realize mostly water, but still, crazy.

I know it won't stay like that, but this is all very interesting.

I had a slight gain after my fat days, but down another .9 this morning. I am guessing the best day for me to weigh is on the morning of the first fat day which is after 2 carb days & 2 high protein days, which for me that is a Friday. My fat days are Fri, Sat, Sun and it was awesome!
    Last edited by gopintos; 04-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.

otzi Guest
    Splitting things up might be a more ancestral way of eating than trying to get a perfect ratio every day. There were probably days when they couldn't find anything to kill, so had to eat plants for many days--then a big kill where the choice, fatty parts were gorged on for a few days and then a few days fighting the hyenas for the last scraps of flesh.

Interesting.

Yal that's what I am thinking. Since they couldn't just stick leftovers in the frig, they needed to eat it up as best they could.

I can't really explain her philosophy very well, without just copy and pasting, but the goal is to flood the body with nutrients and to stimulate the activities of the liver, the adrenals, the thyroid, the pituitary, and the tissues of the body, so the phases need to be in the right order to be the most effective.

It def. is interesting. I hope she is right because the book makes sense to me. It is easy to understand even though she gets off on a geeky sciencey thing now and then but she gives you fair warning first, so I know to glaze over on those part haha. So I get the laymen's terms of what she is saying, I just can't explain it w/o just copying her words and I am sure she would rather everyone buy the book It was only like $12 for my Kindle PC, so it is well worth it to me if it can get things going again.
    Last edited by gopintos; 04-24-2013 at 04:38 PM.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    try flavored seltzer if plain water doesn't appeal to you. Polar brand makes seltzers in great flavors, and they taste good. it might help break the soda habit.
    good luck.

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Reduce food portions or increase physical activities or do both! Yes, dieting sucks, and if you feel too comfortable with your diet, then you probably are not doing it right!
    I'm going to second the questionable quality of this 'advice'.

The whole point of PB is NOT to diet. This is how you should be eating, period. If you're eating properly (quality and quantity) for your activity level, your weight will eventually normalize. Underlying conditions need to be considered, of course, but making sure the right food is being eaten is at least 90% of the solution.

Just as a point of note, I was 275lbs @ 6'3" as of February 2012. I went Paleo and the weight literally fell off over 3 months and I was down to 215lbs. I stayed steady there for a couple of months after relaxing my intake and letting Coke Zero and weekly fast-food creep back into my diet. My daughter was born in October 2012 and I also started graduate school in Fall 2012, all while also working a full-time office job. By February of 2013, I was back up to 235lbs, just by being lazy with my overall diet (in addition to selling my house and continuing grad school and work). I was eating much less than I used to, but the content of my meals was just garbage. I got my habits back in line in late March, and I'm down to 219lbs as of today without lifting as much as a finger for exercise, unless you count writing papers for classes. I simply don't have time right now, and my diet is obviously the most important part of the puzzle anyway.

Simply put, if there's any dietary areas which you consider non-Paleo, the obvious decision is to start there. I go out to lunch with my wife and daughter every Saturday after the little one's play class, and I'll maybe have a diet soda and some tortilla chips or pasta, but it's not overboard and it's a very minor part of my overall lifestyle. Once your body learns to burn fat properly (look for Mark's article), you can then have your little indiscretions and it won't make one bit of difference. The point is to get your body to that point by doing what you have to do in the beginning, and then you can make the decision to pick battles here and there regarding what you like to eat, or what you may have to eat based on convenience.

How's that for a first post?

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millersoontobelite View Post
    i have become a much better cook. but i still cant find ways to make things more enjoyable for me. the biggest problem is veggies and as we all know healthy greens are a great big part of this lifestyle. i eat broccoli, asparagas or brussel sprouts with many meals and i cant stand them
    One technique that I've found helps people with aversions to green veggies like the ones you've mentioned is to drizzle them with a bit of a friendly oil, and then lightly toss w/ s&p or other seasoning, then roast them at 350F in the oven for 20-30 minutes. They almost completely taste different than their raw or near-raw versions, and you might eventually develop a taste for them unroasted (though I don't see a problem eating them that way exclusively).

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the recent loss! To what do you attribute it?

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    I'm going to second the questionable quality of this 'advice'.

The whole point of PB is NOT to diet. This is how you should be eating, period. If you're eating properly (quality and quantity) for your activity level, your weight will eventually normalize.
    Good first post, hi

OP, are you treating this like a diet? It sounds like you are. These comments made me sad:

Quote Originally Posted by Millersoontobelite View Post
    my biggest problem with any diet is that i dont like anything. i hate vegetables. i dont like chicken. i spend every day not enjoying 75 percent of what i put in my body. i am guessing most of you dont feel that way. so diet soda is what i look forward to at a meal. good for me or not, it gets me through the day.
    It sounds like your meals are glum and miserable. And that's not sustainable long term. I just love this food so much. It tastes good and makes me feel good. I wish you could feel the same. You have to enjoy the food. Maybe Primal is not for you.

I really think part of loving the food so much is staying away from processed food 100% if you can. That's what worked for me. Not drinking soda, not eating pizza. The flavor burst from a fresh strawberry now, or the texture of some 90% chocolate on my tongue....it's indescribable. Each thing I eat is something to get excited about. It sounds so hokey but it's true.

About soda....try buying sparkling mineral water or club soda and adding a squeeze of lime to it. Or vanilla extract. It's a super treat I have once in a while. Or make herbal iced tea and add a bit of honey. It's major.

Gluttonous Asshat is going to be my next poster name.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    One technique that I've found helps people with aversions to green veggies like the ones you've mentioned is to drizzle them with a bit of a friendly oil, and then lightly toss w/ s&p or other seasoning, then roast them at 350F in the oven for 20-30 minutes. They almost completely taste different than their raw or near-raw versions, and you might eventually develop a taste for them unroasted (though I don't see a problem eating them that way exclusively).
    I agree with the roasting...try tossing broccoli with sliced garlic, sea salt EVOO and a hefty squeeze of lemon. Roast until tender. Delish!
    Also don't discout dark leafys in your salads. I have a large salad at lunch that fills that void.
    Also if you do smoothies, add a 1/2 cup frozen spinach and you will never even taste it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast