Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Plateau Discussion page 5

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Millersoontobelite View Post
    My diet is almost entirely primal but the foods I do enjoy tend to be on the higher calorie side. Steaks, bacon, sweet potatoes etc
    I lost 60 lbs last year and have hit a plateau. It happens.

Food:- I do not like greens, so fry the little blighters in butter or coconut oil. I whack in onions, herbs & spices to add flavour. I brought portion sizes down for high calorie foods and found I can live with it.

Breakfast is a sort of omelette of either mushrooms or spinach fried in butter or coconut oil with two large eggs. Lunch is roast chicken thigh or tinned mackerel/herring with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, radishes, sauerkraut and pickled red cabbage. Dinner is whatever my wife cooks, including a small portion of potato and/or sweet potato. Treats are a 125gm piece of 70% cocoa solid chocolate every evening and red wine two or three days a week.

Exercise:- Started off with HIT rowing but anything that gets the heart pumping will do, even standing up and sitting down if one is unfit. Strength training is a must IMHO and I do one short intense session a week mainly using body weight for cost effectiveness.

Take home 1:- Find foods you like in portions that stick a little under your daily calorie requirement and eat them.

Take home 2:- Walk more, and, do some strength training once week.

Take home 3:- Find daily and weekly treats that aren't too bad for you but only have them if you stick with the programme.

It worked for me and I now feel the benefits as I no longer take two blood pressure medications, statins or steroid inhaler for asthma. So,

Take home 4:- If *I* can do it anybody can. It just takes won't power.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My diet is almost entirely primal but the foods I do enjoy tend to be on the higher calorie side. Steaks, bacon, sweet potatoes etc
    Do you like meatloaf? Or chili? Those are both dishes where the meat can be stretched with veggies, but you don't feel so much like you're eating veggies. Whenever I make Italian-style meat loaf or meatballs I add a pile of finely chopped onion, green pepper and grated carrot that's about half the size of the pile of ground meat. If it seems like its not holding together too well, I throw in an egg or two as well.

Someone recently posted a Lazy Chili recipe that was delish. There was nearly as much diced tomato as meat in it and I added a couple of big handfuls of diced carrot which no one in my family even seemed to notice.

Do you like sautéed onions or mushrooms with your steak? Sure, it's not a big pile of broccoli, but it's a step in the right direction.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

ktgrok is offline Member
    giving up diet soda ended my plateau. The weight started falling off when I quit it. Which pisses me off cause I swore up and down it wouldn't effect anything. Hate it when I'm wrong! And luckily after seeing the difference I haven't craved it like I used to.

ktgrok is offline Member
    my biggest problem with any diet is that i dont like anything. i hate vegetables. i dont like chicken. i spend every day not enjoying 75 percent of what i put in my body. i am guessing most of you dont feel that way. so diet soda is what i look forward to at a meal. good for me or not, it gets me through the day.
    What DO you like? steak? Buy some thin, lean ones that are fast to cook and have them for lunch. Roast your veggies (trust me, as a former veggie hater it makes them SO much better....Just dump a bag of frozen california blend veggies in a baking dish, toss with olive oil, and roast for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Top with a sprinkle of salt and parmesan cheese. thank me later). Find food you like for heavens sake!

And I get the diet soda. I do. I LIVED for it. LOVED it. But gosh darn it the scale finally started moving, and my appetite changed, when I dropped it. Still makes me mad, lol.

callison is offline Junior Member
    Diet soda def plateaus my weight loss. I drank gobs of it, didn't think I could live without it, but I finally quit about 3 weeks ago. I tried one today and it tasted so bad I threw it away. When I finally proved that it made a difference, it wasn't as hard to pass up. Diet soda is definitely worth staying fat for. When you get used to water, you will actually crave it. I think that diet soda messes up our thirst mechanism and causes us to crave carbs when we are just thirsty.

As far as the veggies, I am at the other end of the spectrum. I LOVE veggies, but I am doing keto and I am having to limit them. I can't stand it. Sometimes I feel bad that I have traded my gargantuan salads for things like bacon. I just have to remind myself that I will begin to transition to eating more when I get some fat off, which is healthier for now.

I went from SAD to mostly vegetarian. I will say that it is learned - like the others suggested, try different ways of cooking them and pick up a new vegetable every time you go to the store and at least try it. Some of my favorite foods such as spinach, zucchini and sweet potatoes are things I would have never imagined myself eating years ago. This is coming from a former macaroni and cheese and french fry junkie! Since going paleo, I have given up greek yogurt and cottage cheese - two of my favorites. I have no desire to eat either of them now. It is crazy how our tastes change depending on what we give our bodies. Just get your feet a little wet and you may surprise yourself!

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here a bit, and say just stick with your diet pop.
    I'll echo that.

And it actually helped with losing the weight, too.

Millersoontobelite is offline Senior Member
    thanks for all the help people. i lost about 10 pounds over the two weeks or so after i started this thread, but at 267 completely stagnant again. It is what it is, but i appreaciate all your input
    SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 254

79 pounds down 54 pounds from primal

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here a bit, and say just stick with your diet pop.

I was like you when I first started, and really enjoyed my evening dinner with a can of diet rootbeer. Healthy? I'd say no and I knew that. Did it help me get through a time when I was making serious (and beneficial) changes to my overall diet. Absolutely. I think it is easy to just say "give it up" because it isn't healthy, however if you end up quiting the entire way of eating/lifestyle (whatever you'd like to call it ) your no better off.

Last month I gave up my diet soda and I don't miss it now, I truly don't, BUT this was after 4-5 month of making changes to may diet in a way that I could be totally satisfied first. It took some time, but I have gotten to a place where I love the food I eat.

Is the diet pop a crutch? Yes it is, and maybe that is exactly what you need to get through the transition. It helped me, and now I'm 33 pounds lighter.

Cheers,

Matt
    Agree-I'm slowly cutting back from 6+ cans of diet soda a day, to 2-3 cans a day right now. May take me another 6 months to totally eliminate it, but I'm not going to stress out about it and just focus on cutting back. I'll get there eventually. It also didn't cause my weight loss to stall and I've lost over 40lbs since last October while drinking it (didn't start cutting back until a couple months ago). The only other thing I drink is water.

thanks for all the help people. i lost about 10 pounds over the two weeks or so after i started this thread, but at 267 completely stagnant again. It is what it is, but i appreaciate all your input
    I'm brand new to primal eating so I can't help you out with any of that, but I will recommend looking into alternate day intermittent fasting (ie JUDDD). I lost all my extra weight that way, while also still on a SAD diet. Now that I'm in maintenance I'm transitioning to primal eating but you can do JUDDD with any way of eating. There's a good thread going on here in the nutritional section of MDA. Otherwise there's gobs of info on JUDDD over on Low Carb Friends-kind of the pioneers of the whole movement and where I got all my info when I was losing weight. Also, guys tend to rock JUDDD/IF and lose weight faster on it than women do, so it might be something that would be really beneficial for you
    Last edited by mom23kids; 04-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have a few theories and ideas. First a disclaimer: I'm female, so what works for me and some other women might not work for you.

1. The amount of calories you burn at (for eg.) 200 lbs walking three miles is more than you will burn at say 160 pounds. It's like the difference between walking with a 40 pound backpack vs walking without it. Therefore, if exercise remains constant, calories burned per day will lessen as you lose weight. You can compensate by increasing either duration or intensity.

2. Every cell, creature, plant, etc., has one goal - to live. This includes fat cells. So, losing weight is a struggle. You can somewhat mitigate this by lifting heavy things. More muscle mass = you being a better metabolizer. (And once you're an adult, you don't lose fat cells, you can only decrease their size.)

3. While it would be great if just eating healthy could get us thin, it just isn't so. Logically, the younger or more active a person is, the more s/he can eat. It's a fuel in vs energy expended thing. While eating primally will almost certainly decrease hunger pangs, the amount of food you eat does matter. On this board, and from talking to people who have done Atkins, and my own experience, the first 40 lbs often come off in a nice consistent, rewarding manner when you ditch the bread, pizza, etc., but after that you do have to watch how much you're eating. Calories are one way to count.

4. Since we are incredibly adaptable machines, it might help to give your weight loss a jump start either by over eating for two or three days, or fasting for a day or two. I think that when we stick to a diet of basically the same foods every day, we reach a kind of homeostasis as our body gets used to the food and movement. This is fine if we are at the weight we want to be; not so great when we want to lose.

I hope any of that helps. It's only observational.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    4. Since we are incredibly adaptable machines, it might help to give your weight loss a jump start either by over eating for two or three days, or fasting for a day or two. I think that when we stick to a diet of basically the same foods every day, we reach a kind of homeostasis as our body gets used to the food and movement. This is fine if we are at the weight we want to be; not so great when we want to lose.
    Or both. Fast for a day or two then feast. Even if the calories come out exactly the same, it keeps your metabolism from expecting a certain pattern of eating and becoming more efficient at it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast