Thread: mummies with atherosclerosis page

mike is offline Senior Member

mummies with atherosclerosis

Primal Fuel
    An interesting article recently published in The Lancet which unfortunatly, I don't have access too. Here's a quote from a news article:

"A common assumption is that the rise in levels of atherosclerosis is predominantly lifestyle-related, and that if modern humans could emulate pre-industrial or even pre-agricultural lifestyles, that atherosclerosis, or at least its clinical manifestations, would be avoided. Our findings seem to cast doubt on that assumption, and at the very least, we think they suggest that our understanding of the causes of atherosclerosis is incomplete, and that it might be somehow inherent to the process of human aging.

Read more: Even Mummies Had Clogged Arteries | TIME.com

operative words, "seem to." Even so, I wonder if among us modern humans there is any correlation between atherosclerosis and lifestyle.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Bad assumptions lead to bad conclusions. All of the mummies examined were neolithic. Grain consumption has to be implicated
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have lately read articles where the researchers were very confused about what "Stone Age" and "Paleolithic" really mean.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Because they were ignorant, or because such peoples still often had sophisticated technologies so the connotation of those terms is polluted with presumptions of lack of development?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Because they were ignorant, or because such peoples still often had sophisticated technologies so the connotation of those terms is polluted with presumptions of lack of development?
    I'm thinking of a Huffington Post article where the researchers researched a "Stone Age" diet composed of mostly bread, dairy, and agricultural production. It was ignorance on the part of the researchers to call such a diet a "Stone Age" diet.

Chuck_S is offline Junior Member
    Also included in the study were 5 people from the Aleutians who would not have had access to grains / dairy and would have led a subsistence lifestyle high in marine lipids. 3 of the 5 had atherosclerosis and one, a 50 year old female might have required 2 stents had she lived today. Good audio with one of the lead researchers on PRI today. You can listen at:
    Researchers Find Ancient Mummies with Heart Disease | PRI's The World

One interesting fact pointed out was that women had just as much incidence of heart disease as men and the researcher surmised wood fires used for heating and cooking might explain this.

An excellent overview of this study can be found here:
    http://huntgatherlove.com/content/at...uman-condition
    Last edited by Chuck_S; 03-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    5 is an extremely small sample size. I realize that the number of accidental mummies is limited, but still you have to keep in mind that any conclusions drawn from this have to be done so with a really big grain of salt.