Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes 'processed' meat? page

Coffee, Salmon, & Apples is offline Junior Member

What constitutes 'processed' meat?

Since moving toward a primal/whole foods sort of nutrition plan, I have started to increase the variety of meats I eat. Particularly, I used to only eat eggs for breakfast, but I developed a foods sensitivity to them due to over-consumption. Now I try to rotate ham, bacon (uncured), and turkey breast into my first meal of the day. I don't consume pre-sliced ham or turkey--I buy the actual rump or breast. The ham and turkey have sodium nitrate, but I cant seem to find them in their uncured forms. With this concern over the dangers of processed meats I wonder if these meats I eat are considered 'processed'? Should I be concerned with them?

Thanks for any input!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    That depends upon the purity of definition of 'processed'. After the cow or turkey is dead, processed means, essentially, anything done to the meat other than wrapping it. All ham is cured with something. Even freezing can be considered a process by some people.

Sould you be concerned? That depends on you and what kind or degree of 'health' you want. There are a lot of movies out about food production and processing. watch a few.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I take processed meats to mean that it's been treated, cured, or else emulsified and reshaped and pressed together. Unless you have a problem with nitrates, I don't think it's a big deal, but I'd be more concerned about the quality of the original meat.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Any meat that has been cut, sliced, ground, etc. If you are not eating the meat right off the dead carcass, then it's processed and potentially deadly!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The "etc" includes brine, which is probably what a whole deli-meat turkey breast most likely is.

If you are really worried about it, you can cook a turkey really easily. It only takes a few hours in the oven. You don't have to put any stuffing or anything in it. Some places you can buy just a big breast or leg just like if it was chicken. Then you can make lots of lunches from it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For me, a processed meat is anything that isn't just hacked into the appropriate parts and sold by the pound. So anything sold in a deli, or anything with sodium nitrate/nitrite. That said, I like deli, and though I no longer make it 85% of my food (damn you Grok for not eating ham, spam, salami, and bacon), I do indulge. I would watch the additives and make sure you're not sliding back to processed land. If you like turkey breast*, buy an uncooked one, look for a brining recipe online, and make your own. The same can be done with corned beef.

*Didn't see sbhikes' post above.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Coffee, Salmon, & Apples is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the replies and helping me understand the question at hand--it helps. I have a few more questions based on what was written though.

My body seems to tolerate nitrates just fine. It seems to me that they, like saturated fat, aren't as bad as once believed. Is that correct?

How does one determine the quality of the original meat?

I really like the idea of cooking a whole turkey. I really like ham too. Aside from roasting a whole pig, is there some middle ground in terms of getting a less processed form?

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee, Salmon, & Apples View Post
    My body seems to tolerate nitrates just fine. It seems to me that they, like saturated fat, aren't as bad as once believed. Is that correct?
    Yep.

Unfortunately, the best way of doing this is by knowing where it came from. But that is pricey because it's outside the current industrialised factory process.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the replies and helping me understand the question at hand--it helps. I have a few more questions based on what was written though.

I really like the idea of cooking a whole turkey. I really like ham too. Aside from roasting a whole pig, is there some middle ground in terms of getting a less processed form?

Thanks!
    Nitrates are bad for you. No question.

A pig is cut up into pork. Cured pork is called ham. So all ham is cured one way or another.

The quality of the original meat is determined by how the animal was cared for and what it was fed.

You'd best buy a copy of "Rich Food, Poor Food." It will answer all your questions.

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wvpptzff View Post
    There are a lot of movies out about food production and processing.
    Can you list them here, please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast