Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What constitutes 'processed' meat? page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I prefer that the vast majority of the meat I consume have no ingredient list. If it has any ingredients at all, I consider it processed. I am not a purist - I have no problems eating bacon, ham, etc. But I use them as condiment, not as main food supplies.

I don't eat eggs either. So for breakfast I have bowls of chicken veggie soup, cold burger patties that I grilled the night before, cold sliced chicken with some mustard, crisps of japanese sweet potatoes with butter and fresh berries (Yum!),etc.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

2_N_Jenn is offline Junior Member
    Yes, please list meats....I am wondering and having concerns about meat. Can't find any grass fed meats besides ground beef at trader joes. Is there a website that I can buy from?

2_N_Jenn is offline Junior Member
    Do you eat egg whites?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Nitrates are bad for you. No question.

A pig is cut up into pork. Cured pork is called ham. So all ham is cured one way or another.

The quality of the original meat is determined by how the animal was cared for and what it was fed.

You'd best buy a copy of "Rich Food, Poor Food." It will answer all your questions.
    "Nitrates are bad for you" Does that include the natural nitrates in celery and spinach? They have far higher nitrate levels than bacon does... yes, I know the argument that they are from a natural source and other compounds that reduce their effect (but that isn't what you said)

"cured pork is called ham" Not really.... there are lots of cured pork products that are not ham. Ham is the cured rear leg of a pig. Bacon is cured pork belly (can also be made from the jowl), canadian bacon is the cured loin or tenderlioin, just to name a few.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    "Nitrates are bad for you" Does that include the natural nitrates in celery and spinach? They have far higher nitrate levels than bacon does... yes, I know the argument that they are from a natural source and other compounds that reduce their effect (but that isn't what you said)

"cured pork is called ham" Not really.... there are lots of cured pork products that are not ham. Ham is the cured rear leg of a pig. Bacon is cured pork belly (can also be made from the jowl), canadian bacon is the cured loin or tenderlioin, just to name a few.
    Read somewhere recently, it's not so much the Nitrates/ites, but in the curing of meat(amino acids) Nitosamines are formed and these are the primary culprit in that instance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12