Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My food is too good!!!! how can i ever go back? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Once I added potatoes back to my diet, there is only one food that I miss, and that cannot be replicated as a non-flour item. That's pel'meni, or Russian form of dumpling. We used to do 500 or so of those over X-mas break and freeze for 'fast food' later in the year. I dunno if one can make the dough with my normal non-gluten mix of rice/potato and tapioca starches, but the cost will be prohibitive for mass-production. I normally use this mix in the recipes that require <1 c of flour. And, yes, stuffed blinchiki (crepes) are nice and cannot be replicated by any egg-and cream cheese style crepes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Hey, Quelsen! There's a bunch of women in a cave wondering where you've been--better go say HI.

As to your topic, I used to be a huge bread man. I ate probably 8-10 slices a day in various forms. What I take great delight in now is eating at a restaurant and piling up all the bread that comes with my order and marveling that I used to eat it all and more. We ate at IHOP the other day. My omelet was accompanied by 4 pieces of toast and 2 pancakes--it felt really good seeing them still there when I left!

The only remnant of my old life I feel the need to re-invent from time-to-time is ice cream. Lately, I've been mushing a really ripe banana in a bowl and stirring in a scoop of baking cocoa and a handful of frozen blueberries--a pretty decent substitute.
    Sorry to break it to you, but IHOP puts their pancake batter into their eggs to make their omelets fluffier.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe I'm going to admit this...PIZZA.

I thought I'd never live without pizza. Now I will eat it rarely ONLY if its top quality ingredients from the crust to the toppings. No more Dominos.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Once I added potatoes back to my diet, there is only one food that I miss, and that cannot be replicated as a non-flour item. That's pel'meni, or Russian form of dumpling. We used to do 500 or so of those over X-mas break and freeze for 'fast food' later in the year. I dunno if one can make the dough with my normal non-gluten mix of rice/potato and tapioca starches, but the cost will be prohibitive for mass-production. I normally use this mix in the recipes that require <1 c of flour.
    I have made dumpling dough by putting cooked white rice and sweet rice (cooked a little soft) through the food processor with enough white rice flour to make the dough easy to handle. You might want to play with this.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've LOVED Chocolate Chip Cookies all my life. Home made is better than store-bought of course, but any of them is great. I could eat a dozen at a time.

So last week I bought a dozen that looked really good at the store. At home I ate one. It tasted like cardboard, even the chips, and was nausiatingly sweet. Dang! I threw them out.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Tonight I made curry coconut shrimp. I added a whole can of coconut milk to the wok, so it was rich and creamy. Then I took out a bowl of the "soup" for myself before adding the cooked Thai-style rice noodles for Hubby. After my delicious bowl of "soupy" stirfry, I ate one mouthful of hubby's noodles. Holy cow! How bland after my own supper! The noodles completely dulled down the curry/ginger/garlic yumminess. No wonder he needs hot sauce to make it more interesting...

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I thought that regular pizza was the to die for food, unfortunately, the last time I ate it, I was bloated for 3 days and was ready to die. Their are 3 foods that I truly miss and those are Lasagna, Stuffed shells and Gnocchi. I used to be amazing at making lasagna, now its horribly bad when I make it. Right now, I'm making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for the girls. Yes, you are all going to send me to primal hell, but they love it. I'm not going to deny them anything and for the most part, they eat the primal foods I make. Hell, my youngest is taking stuffed cabbage soup for lunch at school tomorrow.
    Georgette

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    geostump, somewhere there's a gnocchi recipe that replaces the wheat flour with potato flour. It's in my other browser and my bookmarks didn't import very efficiently, but I'm pretty sure I found it by googling "paleo gnocchi."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    geostump, somewhere there's a gnocchi recipe that replaces the wheat flour with potato flour. It's in my other browser and my bookmarks didn't import very efficiently, but I'm pretty sure I found it by googling "paleo gnocchi."
    Thanks JoanieL! I'll have to look into that when I do decide to add potatoes back in. In regards to pizza, I make the deep dish low carb pizza from Linda's Low Carb. It's delicious and it makes me happy.
    Georgette

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Honestly? I still love it all.

I don't eat it as a rule though. I hardly ever have a 20%. I don't keep it in my house. Rarely go out to it anymore. But I still love it and miss it all.

Maybe I still love/miss it, because I havent eaten it for a long time. Maybe if I did now, I would discover that I don't still love it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast