Thread: Dealing with a cancer patient and their diet? page

krsn89 is offline Member

Unhappy Dealing with a cancer patient and their diet?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

My mother's 60-something aged boyfriend was recently diagnosed with esophageal cancer (not a smoker). I believe he goes to radiation therapy every day, but I believe he has also started chemotherapy as well. He has a terrible diet... drinks Coke every day with every meal, abundant grains - bread with every meal, Horlick's powder (?!), cereal AND toast every morning, Twinkies and all that other packaged crap. He is overweight in the midsection. I keep pressing my mom to get him to eat better, but my mom doesn't want to push him since he's already having a hard time with everything. I totally understand where she's coming from but I truly think that following a better diet or even a ketogenic one at this point will do nothing but benefit him. My mom eats primarily SAD but she's cutting down on her wheat consumption at least. I know she wants him to eat better but I think she's at the point where her mentality is "well, he's already suffering so let him eat what he wants."

How do I go about approaching him? I don't want it to seem selfish or that I'm overstepping my boundaries here but I just feel like he can at least help himself by altering his diet while he's dealing with cancer.

Thanks in advance!
    Kelly

SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Hi

Sorry to hear about the cancer - it's a very scary event for someone. How well do you get on with him? Would it be easy to give it to him straight?

A keto-style diet would definitely not hurt, but going from a blissfully ignorant diet, to a keto one is going to be very tough, especially if he is not open to advice from "non-doctors". Intermittent fasting is the most important step in my opinion, try to get him to push breakfast back and exercise gently before his first meal. I know he is quite old (don't mean this offensively) but exercise will help with cancer, not hinder it.

Good luck with this, you have my well-wishes.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I would print up a maximum of three short articles on the topics you thing might help: ketogenic diets helping with cancer, fasting helping cell renewal, fasting helping with chemo symptoms, etc.

Then ask if you can come over to talk to him for 15 minutes. Start with an expression of caring- verbal or physical, and then say, "I'm concerned about your health, and I want to help in any way I can. I think this information might be useful to you. Can I read it to you or leave it with you?"

Then do as he asks. If he doesn't want to bother, let him be. At least you have tried, and after all, it is his health and body. Good luck.

SpearCarrier is offline Member
    They have shown from rat-studies that fasting during chemo - protects your cells from permanent damage. I don't always follow Mercola's advice, but he recently put out a good article on the subject.

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearCarrier View Post
    Hi

Sorry to hear about the cancer - it's a very scary event for someone. How well do you get on with him? Would it be easy to give it to him straight?

A keto-style diet would definitely not hurt, but going from a blissfully ignorant diet, to a keto one is going to be very tough, especially if he is not open to advice from "non-doctors". Intermittent fasting is the most important step in my opinion, try to get him to push breakfast back and exercise gently before his first meal. I know he is quite old (don't mean this offensively) but exercise will help with cancer, not hinder it.

Good luck with this, you have my well-wishes.
    Thanks for this. We've had our issues in the past but we're OK now. I don't mean for this to come off badly, but he's the kind of guy that thinks because he's older than you, he knows better than you... he's incredibly stubborn and I don't know how it will go. You're right, I think IFing would be very important here and maybe introducing that first would be easier. He is completely sedentary now that I think about it - he is a bus driver and then he just sits and watches all day at home, even before the cancer.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf had a good article about how it's pretty futile to help people who don't want to change. So if your cancer patient is like that, you may need to learn to just accept that they will continue to eat twinkies and drink coke. I can't find that article but it is really powerful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I would print up a maximum of three short articles on the topics you thing might help: ketogenic diets helping with cancer, fasting helping cell renewal, fasting helping with chemo symptoms, etc.

Then ask if you can come over to talk to him for 15 minutes. Start with an expression of caring- verbal or physical, and then say, "I'm concerned about your health, and I want to help in any way I can. I think this information might be useful to you. Can I read it to you or leave it with you?"

Then do as he asks. If he doesn't want to bother, let him be. At least you have tried, and after all, it is his health and body. Good luck.
    Thanks Sabine. Unfortunately I have already given them several articles with regards to this topic, even with my own notes and important points highlighted so they can interpret the science a little better. Maybe it was overkill because I gave them actual studies? I've also offered my books (Primal Blueprint, Perfect Health Diet, Wheat Belly) for them to read and they haven't. I wanted to give them reliable sources since they're both so skeptical. I will try the talk again and see how it goes.